MD --> MSTP at WashU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mulletmandan

I can has MSTP?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I applied MSTP at WashU and was rejected. However, I received an invitation to interview at the medical school. Is there a path available to me where I could enter the medical school and reapply to the MSTP? WashU was my #1 choice since I have family in that area, but I really want to go MSTP.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

sounds like i'm in the same situation, but I don't think I'd risk getting rejected from an MSTP twice

I am not sure anyone on this forum would know the answer. Why do not you go to the interview and get accepted in MD first, and than during the second look weekend have a heart-heart chat with the dean of admission as well as the mstp director. Usually, they are very open and honest. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not sure anyone on this forum would know the answer. Why do not you go to the interview and get accepted in MD first, and than during the second look weekend have a heart-heart chat with the dean of admission as well as the mstp director. Usually, they are very open and honest. Good luck

This sounds like a good idea. I do know that they accept some people from their MD program into their MSTP after a year or two, but you'll need to do research during the summer to make yourself more competitive and I'm told it's rather hard to get into. All up to you whether or not you want to risk it. Personally, if I were you and I got into an MSTP somewhere else, there's not a chance in hell I would pass on the MSTP for a regular MD.

I would agree with Calf on the idea of choosing an MSTP over MD. It's true that you can get into their MD/PhD program after your first year as an MD student. However, it definitely is tough (maybe tougher than even applying straight up to their MSTP) and there is no guarantee you will get in.

That being said, if you really want to go to WashU then I would advise you to first get accepted into their MD program and find out what steps you can take to get into their MSTP after your first or second year. Besides, maybe in the mean time you'll visit another MSTP school, really enjoy their program, and decides that's better than the MD --> MD/PhD route at WashU. Nothing wrong with keeping your options open. Good luck with your decision.

I'm at WashU right now and will be talking to them about research at WashU and the likelihood that of getting into their MSTP during M1/M2. From talking to students, I got the impression that it might be easier than you might expect. I'll let you know after my interviews.

85-90% of M1's that apply to the WashU MSTP get in, but it is NOT guaranteed. If you get into an MSTP go there instead because it's still a reasonably large risk.

I just thought I'd go ahead and update this thread in case others come by with the same question I had.

I ended up getting accepted at WashU for the MD program, and I had a chance to speak with one of the administrators for the MSTP at the school. He informed me that there is a 90% MSTP acceptance rate for M1 students and that summer research will certainly help my chances.

I'm currently waitlisted at Mayo (but near the top of the list, or so the director told me) and still waiting to hear from UChicago and a few others, but even if I get into an MSTP, I'm not sure I'll take it. I really loved WashU, and with a 90% MSTP acceptance rate, I think I'm going to take my chances (even more so if I can snag a merit scholarship!).