md only acceptance to md/phd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anony mouse

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone out there made the switch / transition from an MD program to MD/PhD? I was just accepted into an MD program (after applying MD only) and in the year since first applying I have really been enjoying the research I have been involved in. Would it be possible to apply now to join a joint MD/PhD program at the school where I'm accepted? I don't know if already being accepted to an MD program would help or hurt my chances. I have several years full time in a lab with good pubs, etc., so i should be good on the experience end of things. Probably some of this is program dependent so i will be contacting the school directly, but wanted to gather some thoughts here as well. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey anony mouse,

From what I've heard you can definitely make the switch. In fact, it might even be simpler since you're already in the MD program. You can probably find the link to the application at your school's website. I know of one school where if you're in the MD program and you want to transfer to MD/PHD, all you have to do is literally sign one piece of paper for the program director. Hope it's that easy.

Thanks nystargate, nice to hear that it can be done!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey anony mouse,

From what I've heard you can definitely make the switch. In fact, it might even be simpler since you're already in the MD program. You can probably find the link to the application at your school's website. I know of one school where if you're in the MD program and you want to transfer to MD/PHD, all you have to do is literally sign one piece of paper for the program director. Hope it's that easy.

Really? That's the certainly not the case at most schools, which usually have an internal applications process. It varies from school to school how competitive the internal application process is. It seems odd that MD/PhD programs, which put so much emphasis on making sure students truly are passionate about research and are likely to go through a full PhD program if accepted, would suddenly disregard all that once a student was accepted to the MD program. Some programs might allow you to apply into a PhD program without MD funding (and as long as the school of Medicine was willing to give you a deferal I don't see what they could do about it), but I think MD/PhD program funding is a bit more tightly guarded than you make it seem, NYstargate.

Since you're already at a school, anony mouse, and these processes can vary quite a bit from place to place, I don't think we can really help you. That's definitely a valid question to ask the program director or someone else in the know.

Really? That's the certainly not the case at most schools, which usually have an internal applications process. It varies from school to school how competitive the internal application process is.

The program I'm talking about is obviously a very specific example. I truly doubt that you'll find the exact same situation at other schools. Of course, you have to meet all the "requirements" especially in terms of research experience.

Anony, since you'll be applying from the MD program you don't have to go through AMCAS all over again and instead you'll have an internal application (try to find on program website). Just remember that you will be taking the spot/funding of an MD/PhD applicant so make yourself stand out. Best of luck.

There were a couple of threads not too long ago about this, but in short it is definitely doable (as many others & I can attest). However, as JHop & stargate note it likely depends on the whims of your program's directors & will pit you against normal applicants. Feel free to PM me with questions or for advice. g'luck.

Actually very many schools do allow the switch from MD only with complete funding equal to that of accepted MD/PhD programs. Switching is rarely allowed for PhD to MD/PhD. Switching from MD to MD/PhD is actually quite common (at some of the schools I interviewed at, I met students who transferred after their first or second year of medschool). It may be more competitive at schools with fewer MD/PhD spots (like Tufts). Typically the programs offer complete funding. You do have to probably interview with the other MD/PhD applicants though.

OP- check with your program at your medical school, start conducting research at your school if you have not already done so, and meet some the grad students and faculty. Good luck!

Although, to be clear, OP will probably have to wait to enter until after the first year because this year's class is likely full.

You could email your specific school's MSTP program director now or wait until you actually get to school - I'd probably wait until August because there's not much you or the PD can do right now, and PDs tend to be busy people.

Schedule a meeting with the PD in August (after orientation, during the 1st couple of weeks), express your interest, ask about the application process. Once you start med school, if you can pull off doing a few hours/wk in a lab without your grades suffering, do that. Or try to setup an elective with a PI you are interested in to meet with them and read papers in preparation for a summer rotation.

Thanks for all the thoughts guys, as expected it seems to differ program to program. I've been in touch with the md/phd office, but setting up an appointment with the PD directly is a great idea, I'll definitely get on that once i'm up there.