MD only interview -worth going to this late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dazzlingpink

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum, and wanted your advice on whether or not it would be beneficial to go to an MD only interview at this late of the stage.

I've already gotten in at a pretty reputable MSTP on the east coast, but I just received an MD only invite from Stanford (which has a lab I was dying to get into, if I had gotten an invite for MSTP) for the end of March.

Is it still worth giving it a shot if I'm interested in the program? I just wasn't sure how that would work out, if the multiple accept deadline for MSTP is 4/15 (does this mean that there's a chance that the MD committee at Stanford will see my commitment to the MSTP, and eventually reject me (assuming that decisions for the MD program will only come out after 4/15)?

thanks so much for your help,

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum, and wanted your advice on whether or not it would be beneficial to go to an MD only interview at this late of the stage.

I've already gotten in at a pretty reputable MSTP on the east coast, but I just received an MD only invite from Stanford (which has a lab I was dying to get into, if I had gotten an invite for MSTP) for the end of March.

Is it still worth giving it a shot if I'm interested in the program? I just wasn't sure how that would work out, if the multiple accept deadline for MSTP is 4/15 (does this mean that there's a chance that the MD committee at Stanford will see my commitment to the MSTP, and eventually reject me (assuming that decisions for the MD program will only come out after 4/15)?

Would you be willing to consider going to Stanford MD-only for at least the first year - with the possibility of applying internally to their MSTP later?

If yes, go to the interview. If no, don't go.

Would you be willing to consider going to Stanford MD-only for at least the first year - with the possibility of applying internally to their MSTP later?

If yes, go to the interview. If no, don't go.

QFT

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

You may want to contact their MD/PhD program coordinator and try to find out the success rate of people who try to switch from just MD to MD/PhD. Some schools, like mine, look on such students very favorably because they know what they're getting and you'll probably take the offer. Other places are not so friendly to it, at least that's what I've been told.

I would go, if I were you. I've heard Dr. Pizzo, the dean of the medical school, speak several times about trying to persuade all the MD students to take up a significant research interest. They like MDs to graduate in 5 or 6 years, and will encourage you to do a PhD if you have a hot project. I think Stanford has one of the better research programs for regular MD programs. I guess the big question is how that all works out financially and whether the MSTP reapply is an option.

Thank you so much for all of your helpful responses,
so I think I will then go ahead and go on my interview, granted that I am interested in applying internally to the MSTP if there's a chance that I got into the regular MD program.

I just want to clarify then, I can still in the end, decide to go do the MD only at Stanford if I get in, even after signing something for the MSTP multiple accept deadline on 4/15? (I think I won't hear back until after that date, the results of my Stanford interview in the end of March)

thanks so much again,

Thank you so much for all of your helpful responses,
so I think I will then go ahead and go on my interview, granted that I am interested in applying internally to the MSTP if there's a chance that I got into the regular MD program.

I just want to clarify then, I can still in the end, decide to go do the MD only at Stanford if I get in, even after signing something for the MSTP multiple accept deadline on 4/15? (I think I won't hear back until after that date, the results of my Stanford interview in the end of March)

thanks so much again,

Are you accepted at a school that starts in July? If so, they you should only hold 1 ACCEPTANCE to a school after 4/15 (If it starts in August the date is 5/15). I think it is fine if you are waiting to hear from Stanford (this is the same case as with people who have committed to one school and then get accepted to their "dream" school in May-July) I don't think you are really "bound" to a program, until you have all of your decisions and have withdrawn from all other programs.

I was in the same boat and ended up not going to my Stanford MD interview. At that point I had decided that I would rather attend the MSTP where I had already been accepted, than pay for a year or more of Stanford med before attempting to transfer in. If you feel the same about the MSTP where you're already accepted, I don't see why you would bother going on the interview?

When I was at Stanford for my interview, I met at least two MD/PhD students who had taken MD-only acceptances to Stanford and then applied to the MD/PhD program as internal applicants. It seemed to me like it was a really common thing to do at Stanford. I'd say you'd have a decent shot of getting in as an internal applicant after your first year of med school. One downside is the need to take out loans for that first year, and for me it would be too much of a gamble, but if you love Stanfod it might be good for you.