MD-only or PhD-only consideration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ninebillion

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a search and read a few threads on this, but I wanted to get a more up-to-date response: What schools evaluate applications for MD-only admission before making decisions on whether to admit a student for the MD/PhD? What schools bypass the MD-only admission and consider you for MD/PhD first?

Likewise, if rejected from the MD/PhD, can a student request that his application to be forwarded to the PhD program of interest? Taking this a step further, can a candidate request review by the MD admissions committee and the separate PhD program of interest simultaneously?

Hopefully I'm making some sense...

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools do evaluate for MD-only admission before MD/PhD admission (UCSF, URochester, etc), but I have seen and heard about strong research MD/PhD applicants with very little on their MD applications getting in at these schools. Why? Right on Baylor's MD evaluation form for interviewers it says something like the following, "Extensive laboratory experience can be substituted for clinical exposure." I think most MD committees feel this way in general, so I wouldn't worry about not applying to those schools who have different acceptance processes.

Most schools evaluate you for MD/PhD first or only. A few (Baylor for example) will evaluate you separately for MD and MD/PhD.

At all MSTP schools and all other schools of which I am aware, the MD/PhD and PhD application processes are completely separate. If you wanted PhD-only consideration, you would have to submit a separate application to the PhD program of choice at that school. These applications require GRE scores, while MD/PhD programs almost always do not.

Is there cross-talk between individual graduate departments and the MD/PhD admissions committee? Will the MD/PhD folks know (or find out) that I applied for a PhD at their school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to point out that on the Einstein application, you can submit your MD/PhD application to EITHER the MD or PhD divisions if not accepted into the program. At least for me, this was the exception. You might want to post some specific schools, since they can be very different...

Originally posted by ninebillion
Is there cross-talk between individual graduate departments and the MD/PhD admissions committee? Will the MD/PhD folks know (or find out) that I applied for a PhD at their school?

Typically, yes. At least at Penn the graduate departments interview all of their MD/PhD applicants and provide feedback to the MD/PhD program. The directors of each grad program sit in on admissions committee meetings that pertain to their grad program. Normally this is more of a formality, as the vast majority of applicants meet the acceptance criteria for graduate school. Still, as admissions committee members they can chime in as to who they think are the best MD/PhD candidates.