md only reply times

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrcdsbenz2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering how long it usually took for ppl to hear back about their md only status after being rejected from the combined program

Members don't see this ad.

I called Yale one morning to find out about my MSTP status and they told me I was rejected. By that afternoon (or perhaps the next day), I had my MD invite. Harvard took about a week.

And that's the sum total of my interviews, besides my one MSTP. So, who knows.

Wash U took about 2-3 weeks, but I don't think you have to wait to be rejected from the combined program before getting an MD-only interview. I'm pretty sure someone on this forum went for the MD interview before hearing anything at all from the MSTP folks. In fact, that's how I thought it worked at most schools. Am I wrong about that? Am I going to wind up being rejected from some school's MSTP too late to be considered for the MD-only program?

Members don't see this ad :)
stherling said:
Wash U took about 2-3 weeks, but I don't think you have to wait to be rejected from the combined program before getting an MD-only interview. I'm pretty sure someone on this forum went for the MD interview before hearing anything at all from the MSTP folks. In fact, that's how I thought it worked at most schools. Am I wrong about that? Am I going to wind up being rejected from some school's MSTP too late to be considered for the MD-only program?

How did you like WashU?

Wertt: I PM-ed you... didn't want to hijack this thread :)

stherling said:
Am I going to wind up being rejected from some school's MSTP too late to be considered for the MD-only program?

From an old post of mine:

1) At Baylor or UMich for example, MD and MSTP admissions are separate, so you could theoretically be accepted for MSTP and not MD on the same time frame or different, independant time frames.

2) On the other hand, most schools will consider you first to the MSTP, and then if you are rejected or waitlisted to the MSTP, they will consider you for the MD. This is why most schools do MD interviews when you come to visit the MSTP.

3) There are also a bunch of schools that consider you for the MSTP and really do not consider you afterwards to the MD program. Certain schools come right out and say they will not give you MD consideration if rejected/waitlisted by the MSTP (UChicago), and certain schools are suspected of it. There is always some debate about this, and for a couple reasons I suspect that certain big name schools are less likely to consider you MD if you are passed by on the MSTP side.

4) There are a few oddball schools like UCSF and URochester who consider you first to the MD program and you must be accepted MD first before MSTP consideration.

Hope that clears it up.

stherling said:

I was that person. I went to WashU MD-only in November and i STILL haven't heard ANYTHING from their MSTP. I got my MD invite about 2-3 weeks after being complete.

However at most places, the MD/PhD gets your app first and if they invite you, they simultaneously schedule interviews with the MD committee. If they reject you, they hand your app to MD-only folks. Your last question, about getting rejected too late to be considered for MD only, YES, that is a huge concern... a lot of times MD committees don't see your app until way after you're complete and b/c of rolling admissions you have much less of a chance of getting an invite than if you applied MD only. My honest recommendation to you is that if you feel you're a real reach for an MD/PhD program but love the school, apply there MD only, because you have a much better chance of getting at least an MD invite than if you get rejected MD/PhD first.

For the schools I applied to, the only exception to the rule (to my knowledge) is WashU. I hope this post helped.

oh well, too late now! maybe next cycle :)