MD or DO....maybe Both

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RLTW75

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to thank all of you for your insights....have been extremely helpful. I wanted to get some suggestions as to applying to med schools. I graduated from IU Bloomington with a Business degree 6yrs ago with a 2.6 GPA (never took any sciences)

I then spent 4 years in the military as a medic on the front lines in Afghanistan and Iraq and will have completed my science pre-req's and taken the MCATS by May. Science GPA (3.7) Practice Tests (31).

I really want to try and attend an MD program but with a low GPA from my UG.....is this possible???

Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to thank all of you for your insights....have been extremely helpful. I wanted to get some suggestions as to applying to med schools. I graduated from IU Bloomington with a Business degree 6yrs ago with a 2.6 GPA (never took any sciences)

I then spent 4 years in the military as a medic on the front lines in Afghanistan and Iraq and will have completed my science pre-req's and taken the MCATS by May. Science GPA (3.7) Practice Tests (31).

I really want to try and attend an MD program but with a low GPA from my UG.....is this possible???

Thanks all

For MD schools you are going to need to bring up your cumulative undergrad + postbac grades to a competitive level, or have a long enough track record of A's that the schools will overlook your original 2.6. DO schools might be more forgiving both of a slightly lower GPA and also because they allow you to retake courses and just use the retake grade, meaning you can bring your GPA up faster. You can get to med school from your starting point, but it may take some time and effort.

Thanks all

You get props for your medic work in the military. Seriously. You've got my respect! I think your clinical experience will count for a lot. I'd say, try to ace the MCAT. That will help your numbers. There's not much you can do about your undergrad GPA. It will hurt you, but all I can say is emphasize your post-bacc grades, emphasize your drive and your experiences, and apply widely and early (June/July instead of Oct/Nov). Definitely mix some DO schools with your MD schools.

Keep asking the right questions. You're on the right path!

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks all

First, I would like to thank you for your service to the country. You have my utmost respect.

As far as the question goes, DO will be a better chance than MD obviously. You can try to explain the low undergrad GPA with a high science GPA, 33+ MCAT, and your extras and maybe get a hit at a MD school. I am sure a DO school would be there.

Ultimately, you have to raise the overall GPA. Have you ever thought about getting another degree with those additional science prereqs?

I think you need at least a 3.2 to get there, but with everything some in-state MD school may take a chance.

Also, check and see if there are any MD schools that allow for grade replacement.

Seriously, thank you for your service!

Do you have a pre-med advising office at your current school? If not you could always call up a local med school and speak to the admissions department and get some advice on your situation.

It's just going to vary, especially in your situation because of the early GPA. I'd imagine some schools would be willing to overlook it in light of your service, MCAT, and more recent GPA. BUT, there will still be some that just won't be able to get past that 1st GPA, no matter what you do.

I'd imagine some schools would be willing to overlook it in light of your service, MCAT, and more recent GPA. BUT, there will still be some that just won't be able to get past that 1st GPA, no matter what you do.
As admirable as military service is, it's not a bandaid for a poor GPA. Otherwise you'd have hordes of folks with low GPA's joining up for four years of service to whipe out four years of bad grades.

RLTW75- Schools will look to your science and overall undergrad GPA and your MCAT before looking at the rest of your application. Your science GPA is great. Your overall GPA is very poor. You can't apply now with it looking the way it does.

Enroll in a postbac program (which usually leads to a second degree or cert, making you eligible for loans and you can apply your GI Bill benefits) full time and take courses for at least one to two years. If you keep getting rock solid grades, you can probably raise your overall GPA to 3.2 or so. This will still get rejected at most allopathic schools, even with great ECs and resume, but you may find one or two that will take you.

Another thought is that your odds of acceptance will go up dramatically if you apply to osteopathic schools. If this is the case, if you repeat any classes you received D's or F's in, it will replace the first one and you will see your GPA go up dramatically. You stand a real shot at osteopathic schools after a year or two of full time coursework.

You need to take a year or two to prepare. If you're willing to do this, you have a great shot at osteopathic schools and a nominal shot at allopathic schools. The longer you're willing to put work into your app, the better your chances will be. With your current GPA and MCAT, it's obvious you can do it if you want it bad enough. Best of luck.

I got some MD looks the first time I applied. Withdrew after a fairly early DO acceptance this time around.

I was ******ed for not applying to DO schools my first time around. I just didn't know anything about them.

I was ******ed for not applying to DO schools my first time around. I just didn't know anything about them.
With the OPs undergrad GPA, he'd be lucky to get an acceptance at most osteopathic schools. He might find one or two that would accept him at god knows what schools god knows where. But if he takes a bit of time to polish his app, he could have a broader choice of schools.

By the way, Texas: I've noticed that you sure seem to like to use the phrase "******ed" a lot in the context above. Quick search shows 37 times in the past 8 months. Don't know if you get a kick out of using it online but know better than to do so verbally, but just in case: careful tossing it around once you're in med school. You'll find some students have a lot less patience for it, many just won't find it funny, and professors will enjoy it about as much as AIDS jokes. Not judging, just saying.

Edit: Eh, forget it. Pet peeve of mine... Not happy hearing that particular term become popular again...

Thanks all

Hey Ranger,

Just apply early and broadly to DO and MD programs and see what happens. If you are at all interested in in going back into the military, you might want to consider the USUHS as well as your acheivements in the Army will be more evident to the people reading your file there.

Good luck,

Grunt

Hey....thanks all for your suggestions and Grunt, you were obviously in the military to be able to decipher my log in....4 years 75th Ranger Regiment Medic!!!

Anyhow, the clarification, not that it may or make any difference was that I never took any science classes during UG. All my science classes have been in the last year doing post-bac work accumulating a 3.7.

Again, not sure if that makes a heap of difference....I have also thought of returning to active duty and go to USUHS....