MD or MD/PhD

Started by has
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

has

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently undecided about MD or MD/PhD. I was thinking of making that decision after getting accepted to the programs at the medical school. If accepted to both MD and PhD, do I have a choice in accepting MD only if I choose to since some schools make sure that I qualify for MD prior to making sure about PhD??
 
has said:
I am currently undecided about MD or MD/PhD. I was thinking of making that decision after getting accepted to the programs at the medical school. If accepted to both MD and PhD, do I have a choice in accepting MD only if I choose to since some schools make sure that I qualify for MD prior to making sure about PhD??

I would think you would be able to just choose MD, but I could also see why they wouldn't let you do that. It's probably a local policy thing.

Why do you want to do both? I think that would help us give you some advice.
 
has said:
I am currently undecided about MD or MD/PhD. I was thinking of making that decision after getting accepted to the programs at the medical school. If accepted to both MD and PhD, do I have a choice in accepting MD only if I choose to since some schools make sure that I qualify for MD prior to making sure about PhD??

I know a Penn MS-2 who did just that. Was accepted MSTP, did much soul-searching, decided he only wanted the MD. He didn't seem to indicate that anyone had any problem with it.
--Ari