MD or MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premeddick

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone trying to decide between MD only and MD/PhD? I know I am probably getting a biased cross section of applicants on this forum but does anyone have any criteria on which on I should decide? I am into a public MD program and a public fully funded MD/PhD program, in another state. Both programs are ranked the same and moderately impressive.

Thanks,

PMD

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a somewhat similar situation, having been admitted into Case Western's MSTP as well as CCLCM (although my "MD-only" option is MD-with-a-year-of-research). I am leaning heavily towards the MSTP because, let's face it, MD/PhD is what I've been working for during the entire application process; however, I was really impressed with CCLCM's facilities and curriculum.

I am re-visiting both programs (to some extent, since they overlap) because I cannot, in all fairness, disregard CCLCM at this point-- it has a research component, and I don't yet have my aid package, so for all I know it might not put me in too much debt. I feel like I would be a good fit there, an opinion which is corroborated by the fact that they admitted me directly (no waitlist!). On the other hand, I think I would really enjoy being a graduate student, so the PhD is enticing, as is the thought of having a community of MD/PhD peers in the MSTP.

So, PMD, to answer your original questions: yes, I'm trying to decide, and although leaning toward the MSTP, I'm going to spend as much time as possible talking to current students with each program, figuring out where I fit the best. I have had difficulty defining criteria, since many of them involve projecting where I want to be 5 or 8 or 20 years from now, and guessing how each program will help me get there. I can't do this for myself without making some wide generalizations, so I think the best criterion is to determine which educational setting (MD or MD/PhD) I will enjoy most. The admissions process (hoping for an interview, prepping for the interview, hoping to hear back, sitting on the waitlist) has distanced me from the whole idea of what I will be doing once I actually begin medical school, and I am counting on the re-visit to give me an objective look at both programs.

Good luck with your decision! I hopefully will have a matriculation sometime next week, since the Case/CCLCM revisit begins this Thursday...

Thanks for your reply. Good Luck with those choices. You can't go wrong!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can MSTP or MD/PhD programs make you sign your life away before May 15th or do different rules apply?

Can MSTP or MD/PhD programs make you sign your life away before May 15th or do different rules apply?

The same rules apply for MSTP & MD/PhD as for MD: April 15 for programs that have required early matriculation, May 15 for programs that have normal (August 1 or later) matriculation.

That does not mean that you will not be pressured to decide earlier...

The same rules apply for MSTP & MD/PhD as for MD: April 15 for programs that have required early matriculation, May 15 for programs that have normal (August 1 or later) matriculation.

That does not mean that you will not be pressured to decide earlier...

What does early matriculation mean?

It's in his post. But, actually, it is the start of class, not matriculation. Try googling aamc traffic rules.

I was somehow under the impression that you can only either apply only to MD or only to MSTP for all your applications...am I completely off? lol.

So we can apply to either one at any school....

I was somehow under the impression that you can only either apply only to MD or only to MSTP for all your applications...am I completely off? lol.

So we can apply to either one at any school....

Perhaps one of the most frustrating parts of the application process (well besides the waiting) is that every single school has a different mechanism of application. Some schools have an MD/Phd (or MSTP) office to which you apply first (after AMCAS of course), who will forward you app to the med school if rejected. Some schools require that you fill out two secondaries, one to the MD office one to the MD/PhD office. Some schools require that the MD office accept you before they consider you for MD/PhD, while some schools pay no regard to the MD office, and pretty much accept whoever they want.

I recommend researching the process well in advance, and organizing what each schools wants (secondaries, letters, etc). I used a a big binder, that worked well.

But perhaps you were asking if you can apply MD/PhD to some schools and MD to some other....and the answer is yes. For each school you add to your AMCAS application you have the option to choose MD/PhD.

Some people apply to some MD only programs as a back up, but it will come up in interviews. The question I got at least once at each of my 7 interviews was "So, did you apply MD/PhD everywhere?" I would say yes, the interviewer would nod, and proceed to change the subject.