MD PhD Applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Witigo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know, if you apply for MD PhD are you also considered for regular MD? Or, does it depend on the school. Basically, I'm wondering if I lessen my chances of being accepted to an MD program if I apply for MD PhD.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know, if you apply for MD PhD are you also considered for regular MD? Or, does it depend on the school. Basically, I'm wondering if I lessen my chances of being accepted to an MD program if I apply for MD PhD.

Some schools its automatic, some its either MD/PhD or nothing and some you can choose. Although, I have it straight from the director of an MSTP program that putting down MSTP or MD could make the adcoms wonder about your commitment to MD/PhD.I don't think your chances are necessarily less for MD if you apply MD/PhD, but it could be later in teh cycle that they consider your app because you will have gone through the MSTP comittee already. Also, make sure you have enough clinical experiance to be a strong MD-only candidate.