MD/PhD applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLAbrewin

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering applying to MD/PhD programs next year and was wondering if anyone who's applying this year could give me info about your experiences so far. Also, is there anyone who's applying to both MD and MD/PhD programs?

I have heard that this is a highly competitive program and hard to get into, but I am wondering if I would have a better shot at this type of program since I have more research experience rather than service experience.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm considering applying to MD/PhD programs next year and was wondering if anyone who's applying this year could give me info about your experiences so far. Also, is there anyone who's applying to both MD and MD/PhD programs?

I have heard that this is a highly competitive program and hard to get into, but I am wondering if I would have a better shot at this type of program since I have more research experience rather than service experience.

You know what we need? We need some sort of forum that deals with MD/PhD topics and has some sort of an FAQ people can look to. Mods - get on this!

In case you didn't get the reference:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=32

You know what we need? We need some sort of forum that deals with MD/PhD topics and has some sort of an FAQ people can look to. Mods - get on this!

In case you didn't get the reference:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=32
While your annoyance is understandable, you could have just given him the link minus the sass. ;)

OP, please do follow the link to the Physician Scientist forum. I'm moving your post there, where you'll find many MD/PhD applicants and students who can answer your question.

Members don't see this ad :)

Don't apply MD/PhD just because you think you have a better shot due to a lack of service experience. This is a really long path to take and definitely not the easy way out. That is the first thing you need to figure out. Start talking to people at your school who are MD/PhDs. I would guess by your screen name that you are a student at UCLA. If that is the case, you should talk to Kelsey Martin, the director of the MD/PhD program there. She is really nice and an MD/PhD herself. This application and interview process for MD/PhD is much more strenuous than for MD-only, so really the best advice I can give you is to do some soul-searching now and be firm in your decision by June.

Next, I personally wouldn't apply to both programs at once. You can put down that you want to be considered for MD if you are rejected for MD/PhD at most places and usually rejected MD/PhD applicants have good luck getting MD-only interviews. That's not to say that there aren't people who do apply to both. There are a few on this board who can share why they did that. I met a guy at one of my interviews as well who was several years into the program and told me he applied to MD-only, PhD-only and MD/PhD and then used the interview and application process to make up his mind. That sounds expensive....

In regards to my experience with the app process so far you can check out my MDApps for the stats. I have been very pleased. It seems to me that MD/PhD admissions, at least to get the interview, are somewhat less random than MD-only. There is a formula to getting the interview (not to say it works 100% of the time of course). In my opinion here's what it is:
35+ MCAT with nothing less than a 10 in a section
>3.7 GPA
Science major with good grades in upper division classes
1 non-science LOR
3-4 science/research LORs
Only minimal patient contact required
2+ years in the lab (the more the better)
Good research LORs from said lab
Strong essays about why MD/PhD

Posters/Pubs are great too but not required. This is something I was really worried about because I don't have any but I think I have done quite well without them. Other than that, the other thing that has served me well is interviewing skills. There is a subtle art to interviewing well. Basically, you have to be able to sell yourself without sounding like you're selling yourself. Make them want you and be prepared for anything. I once had an interview where we ended up discussing the philosophy of science and the meaning of what it is to write history for 30 mins (omg, the most fun I have ever had in an interview). But, I could see how some people would have been thrown off by that.

Anyway, good luck and feel free to ask more questions. We are a very friendly forum!

Funding gives rise to the competitive nature of these programs. The better programs (MSTP programs) are funded and more competitive. There are about 40 of these, I think.

I was an unsuccessful MSTP applicant last year, though I did get MD-only acceptances. To be competitive, research is a given. Having research experience gets you in the door, but it hardly gives you an edge. Quite a few MD applicants have research experience, and nearly ALL MD/PhD applicants do as well. In other words, it doesn't set you apart so much, but it is absolutely necessary. If you have had an exceptional research experience (independent, productive, sustained, publications are nice too, etc.), that would certainly give you an edge.

I think the MCAT is exceptionally important. Unless you have something in your back pocket, an MCAT < 32 will be damaging. Your GPA I don't think is quite as important. 3.6 and up and you're OK.

Obviously, exceptional attributes make up for weak GPAs, weak MCATs, etc. Generally, unless MCAT > 32, GPA > 7.5 and you have had significant research experience, you won't get much action from MSTP institutions.

My insight for what it's worth... I had a 32, GPA 3.9 from regarded liberal arts school, significant research with multiple publications. I had interview luck, but no acceptances.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! It really has given me a lot to think about. I haven't taken the MCAT, but I'm currently studying for it. My undergrad GPA isn't that high, but my grad GPA is much better. I'll speak with Kelsey and do some more research into these programs to see if I would be a good fit so I'll probably have more questions later. :D

While I think what OncDoc said is valid, I wouldn't discount yourself just because of a lower GPA or MCAT. There are definitely people floating around here with a lower one of these that successfully got into MSTP programs, not to mention MD/PhD programs. However, the research time is very very important and fairly non-negotiable.

While I think what OncDoc said is valid, I wouldn't discount yourself just because of a lower GPA or MCAT. There are definitely people floating around here with a lower one of these that successfully got into MSTP programs, not to mention MD/PhD programs. However, the research time is very very important and fairly non-negotiable.

Sorry, I didn't meant to say >3.7 GPA is a must. I merely meant that a GPA like that will help you get an interview. A lower GPA is not a deal-breaker though.

Hi,

I'd like to get some feedback from this forum, seeing that the members are very well informed.

I have over 5 years of neuroscience lab experience, 2 publications, presentations at 4 national conferences; I am also a Sigma Xi member, and was a MARC, Battelle, DOE, and Duke University fellow. I also have 3 years clinical experience as medical assistant. All of my faculty and pre-med advisors say I would be a competive applicant for MD/PhD programs

I was planning on taking the August '08 MCAT while applying for Fall '09 admissions. During the academic year '08-09, I would be doing one the SMPs.

Can I send in my AMCAS application early while waiting taking to the August test/sending in the August scores? Will doing this put me in a disadvantage for MSTPs?

Thanks in advance!

You definitely will be a strong MD/PhD applicant! Just make sure to rock the MCAT and you will have no problems at all!

Only one word of advice...since the MCAT now is offered so many times in the year, with a fast score turn-around time, I wouldn't wait until August...maybe in July or June? (I'm unfamiliar with the actual dates...) The faster you are complete at schools, the faster you can get interviews, and the faster you can get acceptances at the non-rolling schools. Acceptances = ability to withdraw from interviews to save both $$$ and time, as well as to let other people have interview slots.

Can I send in my AMCAS application early while waiting taking to the August test/sending in the August scores? Will doing this put me in a disadvantage for MSTPs?

Most schools won't consider you for interview until you have the MCAT numbers in. If you take in August, this gives you secondaries in September with a one month score turnaround, which probably means you'll have secondaries in October. That's actually not bad (roughly average, not particularly "late") considering you get your secondaries in IMMEDIATELY. It's always good advice to apply early, so if you can push that up a month or two that might help you.

On the other hand, don't push it up if that will hurt your score. A couple more points on the MCAT will help you way more than having your apps in a month or two earlier IMO.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, Neuronix and Seraph!

What about my grades in the SMP? Would adcoms consider my application complete when they get those grades? Or would they consider it complete with the MCAT score? Would they place more emphasis on my MCAT score as compared to the SMP grades?

I didn't do so well my first two years in undergrad, hence why I am pursuing a special masters during the application year.