MD/PhD Application Essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premdphd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning on applying to several MD/PhD programs, and am looking for some advice on how to properly write the two additional essays. Please let me know if you are willing to share your why you want to enter an MD/PhD program and research essays. I can pm my email in case you do not want to post your essays on the forums.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Guess I'll post this here instead of making another thread since OP's post was only asking for advice in general:

For the "Why MD/PhD" essay, how would you guys suggest writing it? In narrative form like the PS, or in a matter-of-fact tone where you list off the reasons you need it? I was originally planning on writing it like a MD/PhD version of the PS, but with only 3000 characters allowed it seems like you've got to be very to-the-point.

Likewise, am I correct in assuming that the PS (the 5300 character essay about why you want to go to med school) should basically be a "Why MD?" essay and avoid talking much about the combined degree?