MD-PhD Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JAG321

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I’m a senior at a rigorous private research institute, thinking about applying to MD-PhD programs with one gap year. I’m hoping that ppl could evaluate my chances and give me some tips based on my stats and (current) experience:

GPA: 3.89c (3.89s and 3.9ns)
MCAT: 516 (130,128,129,139)

Research Experience:

- I’m pursuing a dual BS/MS degree in biochem, which means that I’ll graduate with a master’s degree in addition to my bachelors at the end of my four years.

- Two labs, ~4000 hours total. 2 university fellowships totaling $11k, 3 posters over 3 summers, presenting again soon, and 1 publication on the docket (4th author or something like that). Research revolves around molecular biology and enzymology, so non-clinical.

Clinical Experience:

- 30 hours volunteering at a nursing home
- 20 shadowing hours, planning on racking up more
- tutoring kids with neurodivergent conditions

Extras:

Jazz band, vice president of athletics club, founder and editor-in-chief of research journal (newly formed). Hobbies include tennis, endurance and weightlifting athletics, all that jazz.

Gap year plans:

- no definitive plans yet, although I’m yearning to get some industry experience.
Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.