MD PhD at Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drjohnjohn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does Yale look for in MD PhD applicants besides the usual MCAT scores, GPA, and research experience? What can make an applicant more competitive to Yale?:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

its like you read my mind.........

from what i've seen its excellent in both mcat and gpa.....(reference to faq)

The exact same things that all top 25 programs look for....

Members don't see this ad :)
Or just what any MD/PhD program would look for. Seems like every year, the qualifications needed for the programs get higher and higher.

The medical student culture at Yale is a bit different from that at other places, and I think they do take fit into account as a minor factor in admissions. But I'm sure every program thinks about 'fit' so it's hard to say that Yale is too different in that respect.

Smile, and for goodness' sake don't be overly tense or uptight. You're shopping for a car, and they're shopping for a driver, and ultimately it doesn't much matter whether you end up behind the wheel of a Bimmer or a Benz.

The medical student culture at Yale is a bit different from that at other places, and I think they do take fit into account as a minor factor in admissions. But I'm sure every program thinks about 'fit' so it's hard to say that Yale is too different in that respect.

Smile, and for goodness' sake don't be overly tense or uptight. You're shopping for a car, and they're shopping for a driver, and ultimately it doesn't much matter whether you end up behind the wheel of a Bimmer or a Benz.

when you say "the medical student culture at yale is a bit different" are you referring to the fact that most yale mstp students go on to become researchers/professors rather than physicians? Im asking cuz I'm an undergrad at a UC school and from the outside Yale mstp is/has everything i've ever dreamed of post-undergrad....however my gpa is on the cusp of the excellent range, and i haven't taken the mcat. any suggestions?

you'll be fine man, just do good on ur mcat, get lots of research exp, and relax.

when you say "the medical student culture at yale is a bit different" are you referring to the fact that most yale mstp students go on to become researchers/professors rather than physicians? Im asking cuz I'm an undergrad at a UC school and from the outside Yale mstp is/has everything i've ever dreamed of post-undergrad....however my gpa is on the cusp of the excellent range, and i haven't taken the mcat. any suggestions?

Really what I meant was that the students are just ridiculously laid back (this is a direct result of the curriculum being ridiculously laid back). Of course most yale mstp'ers go on to become researchers/professors, but that's true of every md/phd program. Yale med students aren't staying up til 3 am memorizing all the ligaments of the ankle, is all I'm saying. I know you want a silver bullet admissions tip, but I guess the best I can do is to say that it helps to be a self-starter. Nobody's going to require you to do ANYTHING at yale med (seriously, you could effectively stay in your dorm room 24/7 if you wanted), but of course there are remarkable opportunities here if you have the motivation to pursue them. So if you are the kind of person that will go out of your way to create opportunity and utilize existing opportunity, demonstrating such qualities will probably go over well with the admissions people.

Unfortunately the substitutes for a low gpa/mcat typically require years to achieve, so take first things first and rock that ridiculous test.

I think they like community service or unique activities/experiences. I got asked about that after explaining my research and why MD/PhD.