Md phd away rotations

Started by Uwish
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Uwish

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In my third year and considering away rotations. There is a lot of advice on the md forums but nothing I can find for md phd. Are aways necessary? I want to do IM and I’m looking at programs that have short track research residencies. Should I try for aways there? Does anyone have info or experience?
 
Less than 10% of our MD-PhD students do away rotations. They match well into short-track programs without having done an away rotation. Away rotations pose a lot of variables that you cannot necessarily control, e.g., a bad attending, unfamiliar living arrangements, etc.; therefore, they can introduce a risk that they will negatively impact a student's candidacy. I only encourage away rotations when it is more-or-less required (e.g., neurosurgery) or when a student has performed at a modest level in our program.
 
Many thanks for the reply Maebea. I hadn’t thought of those variables. I was leaning toward staying at my home school and now I think I will.