MD/PhD Chances/advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4lphabet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted 09.20.18] hello

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The numbers look reasonable but not comfortable. MCAT is probably on the lower end of acceptable for several of the institutions on your list, but it will not screen you out. I wouldn't advise retaking MCAT unless you have the time and confidence to score 520+. Re: GRE, it's not required by the majority of MSTPs, so there's little reason for its inclusion in your app package.

I'm wondering why you've chosen to include the 6th "weak" LOR from a high school stint. If it's because of the pedigree of the institution, be forewarned that this alone will not negate the damage that a poor or even weakly positive letter can do to the evaluation of your app. Since it's also relating to a research experience from the relatively distant past, adcoms will question its inclusion especially if the recommendation is not emphatic and you have 5 other strong letters.

Your list is top-heavy -- if you were a US citizen it might be okay, but given international nonresident status you should consider 8-10 less competitive programs. MSAR is your friend, although you'll probably have to dig through program websites to find their policies for international applicants. Good luck.

[deleted 09.20.18] its me

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately it wasn't a hs stint - I started college at 16 due to visa issues. I was told by my premed advisor that I needed to include it or else there'd be a 'gap' for my sophomore year summer. I originally did not want to include it, but I thought it was a requirement to include every lab I worked in during UG + get recs accordingly.

Defer to the advice of more experienced posters if they weigh in, but my gut feeling is not to include the 6th letter if you suspect it will be weak. (You've done your due diligence in requesting the letter, but did you ask the PI how strong the letter would be when you initially approached him/her to write?) IMO, the "letter from every lab" rule is to prevent students that had 2-3 longer research experiences from submitting a single research letter, instead of soliciting from PIs from each of the labs. Since you have 5 other letters, 4 from research faculty, the omission of the 6th is less likely to stand out in my view.

[deleted 09.20.18; thanks for the advice everyone!] i was wondering if I could get a grade above a c...

Last edited: