MD/PhD Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted927529

edited for privacy

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your list is WAY too top heavy, given your GPA. I would consider almost every single one of the schools in your list as some of the most difficult to gain admission to.

Reactions: 1 user
Your list is WAY too top heavy, given your GPA. I would consider almost every single one of the schools in your list as some of the most difficult to gain admission to.

I disagree -- I would apply to all the top programs and just the Texas programs. URM plus solid CV, you are golden.

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree -- I would apply to all the top programs and just the Texas programs. URM plus solid CV, you are golden.

I’m with Valentin on this one although I would add a few more schools onto the list to be safe. Apply like you have a 3.6/7. That’s a 76 LizzyM + strong research with pubs + McAT dispels any concerns someone might have about your academics. It’s a good app.

If you’re doing immunology consider programs with strong research departments in your field but slightly less competitive medical schools. Wisconsin, Einstein/Sinai, UCSD for example. Also, why no Duke or Yale?

You will be fine. The GPA is weak, but the MCAT indicates you will not have any trouble with the USMLE and shelf exams. Provided your research essay and rec letters are strong, you should get interviews at nearly all the programs on your list. (I say "nearly" because there are always a program or two or three that will decide not to interview a seemingly strong candidate. A reviewer may find something to nitpick over, or they may figure that your interests are not a good fit for the program.)

This was my initial thought, but I've gotten a lot of feedback telling me to apply to these programs. I do think my chances at the Texas schools are pretty good, though. Do you have any suggestions for less competitive programs?

I’m with Valentin on this one although I would add a few more schools onto the list to be safe. Apply like you have a 3.6/7. That’s a 76 LizzyM + strong research with pubs + McAT dispels any concerns someone might have about your academics. It’s a good app.

If you’re doing immunology consider programs with strong research departments in your field but slightly less competitive medical schools. Wisconsin, Einstein/Sinai, UCSD for example. Also, why no Duke or Yale?
No reason. I'm still doing research on schools, and I wanted to limit how many very-top-tier schools I applied to. I'll definitely add those less competitive schools you mentioned.