MD/PhD chances

Started by bgit
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bgit

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently interviewed at my dream medical school yesterday under the MD program and after talking to one of my interviewers, I have been considering applying as an MD/PhD because I realized medical students are too busy to truly make a significant research impact. I've made it clear that I wish to pursue a career as a physician-scientist in both my personal statements and interviews. Their MD/PhD primary application is still open for a few more days and I was wondering whether it is worth it to apply so late in the cycle. Also, will applying to the MD/PhD program hurt my chances in getting into their MD program?

Stats:
MCAT: 516
GPA: 3.86
Research: Worked for the same lab under a faculty professor at my undergraduate uni since freshman year. I have a few poster presentations, one at an international science conference. No publications/authorship's but I am in the middle of writing a manuscript.

Thanks!
 
The good news is that I do have the essays ready for AMCAS. And statistically I am right on par with their previous matriculants. I have emailed the director so fingers crossed its not too late to be considered for MD/PhD!