MD/PhD Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goofy Goober

Certified Nerd
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I am interested in pursuing MD/PhD and was looking for advice on how much research and what kind of experiences are typical of applicants. I am a sophomore currently with a semester of research under my belt. I plan on continuing this full time through the summer (hopefully if covid19 calms down) and part time through my junior year and then applying for REUs. Would I have a shot at acceptance next cycle junior year with this kind of experience or is a research gap year standard for most?

*Small private college with limited funding but close professor-student collaboration on semi-independent research.
*3.90 sGPA and 3.96 cGPA
*2 years (about 200 hours) of volunteer firefighting and counting.
*6 months (300 hours) EMT and ER tech work and counting.
*Active member of premed club.
*Two semesters of work as organic chemistry TA.
*Research is a work in progress, but currently working on experimenting with oxidative stress and radical mechanisms associated with many pathologies. Hope to work on Alzeimer's research nextacademic year after i finish up this project ideally in the summer. Hoping to present at regional ACS conference and on campus.
*Plan on taking MCAT next spring.

Members don't see this ad.

Your weaker side seems is the extent of research experience. You have done more than enough volunteering. You need at least 1500-2000 hrs under your belt of research to be credible. If possible shadow a neurologist working in Alzheimer's Disease and other dementias. Good luck on your MCAT. PM me if you want to discuss more details....

Reactions: 1 user