MD-PhD class rank/AOA, etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hard24Get

The black sleepymed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, how does it work for the old fogies who went away for 3-4 years? By the time we come back, everything is different. Do we get ranked based on straight grades in comparison to the current class we rejoin, or are historical controls invoked? :confused:

Furthermore, we might take clinical courses out of order, what if we haven't finished the core clerkships by AOA selection time. :confused:

Also, if your classmates are involved in choosing who gets elected at many schools, does that mean we are being evaluated by people who we are strangers to compared to straight MD students? :confused:

Overall, does MD-PhD status end up hurting your chances at getting AOA?

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it has to hurt some what. From what I have heard grades an AOA aren't that important for MSTP matching.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hard24Get said:
So, how does it work for the old fogies who went away for 3-4 years? By the time we come back, everything is different. Do we get ranked based on straight grades in comparison to the current class we rejoin, or are historical controls invoked? :confused:

Furthermore, we might take clinical courses out of order, what if we haven't finished the core clerkships by AOA selection time. :confused:

Also, if your classmates are involved in choosing who gets elected at many schools, does that mean we are being evaluated by people who we are strangers to compared to straight MD students? :confused:

Overall, does MD-PhD status end up hurting your chances at getting AOA?

Thanks for any input.

Hi there,
AOA (Alpha Omega Alpha) selection criteria varies from chapter to chapter. Some schools place more emphasis on your pre-clinical grades and some place more emphasis on leadership and grades.

Your dual degree should not affect your selection to AOA. You will not be a stranger to the faculty that are AOA members nor to the administration. By going into the lab, you can actually get more some time to serve in a leadership position unless you lab is off site from the rest of the school.

In my chapter, we knew the MD/Ph.D folks pretty well because we were a very social and cohesive medical school. We also had a smaller class size 100-120 with plenty of communication between the classes.

If you are in a very large class, it doesn't hurt to stay in touch socally with the classes that come behind you and the ones that you start with. I know that it can be pretty difficult while you are doing your Ph.D classroom work, to stay in touch with your medical school buddies.

Good luck!
njbmd :)

i was concerned about this too - not only was i out of the MD side for 4 years, i did my research at the NIH so i wasn't even in the same city anymore. so i was worried about being "out of it" or unfamiliar to those making the decisions.

that said, i was junior AOA without any problem. my eligibility was based on my MS 1 and 2 grades (even though they had moved from number scores to pass/fail after i left). i think if you would have been eligible with your original class, you'll be eligible with your new one.

and re: will the new classes vote for you even if they don't know you - i found that all the publications and talks i did while in my PhD track helped alot in my CV when submitting to AOA. i think the regular track med students were quite impressed by all the stuff i had done during the research years.

so, in my case at least, the fact of being "out of the system" wasn't an issue. but i had been concerned about these things in advance. 'cause we are special cases and it's hard to predict how that will integrate with the straight med track people.

also, many other MD/PhDs i know have also not had a problem getting into AOA, but that is at this institution. it could be different elsewhere.

geekgirl said:
also, many other MD/PhDs i know have also not had a problem getting into AOA, but that is at this institution. it could be different elsewhere.

Another concern we've had at our program is the large number of graduation honors and awards that are given at the end of the year. Many of these are based on class voting, so this can be more political - basically a popularity contest if you're a candidate or a voter :thumbdown: