MD-PhD EM faculty positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChemMed

Curiosity is Fun!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a MD-PhD EM-TOX academic faculty position? I am curious as to if this even exists, and Q I know your answer. I just want to see if anyone else might have been witness to this unicorn of a physician-scientist career path.

Members don't see this ad.

Academic faculty positions are always open in any specialty or subspecialty. You're asking entirely the wrong question. So I will ask the one I think you meant to ask.

Does anyone know of any academic faculty positions within EM toxicology for a young faculty member with start-up funding, lab space, tenure track, and protected research time?

Does anyone know of a MD-PhD EM-TOX academic faculty position? I am curious as to if this even exists, and Q I know your answer. I just want to see if anyone else might have been witness to this unicorn of a physician-scientist career path.
If there is a place in EM where I'd expect to see a MD/PhD, it would be in tox. That's also one of the places where I'd expect to see the most $$$ and faculty support.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the last two years, two of my MD/PhD classmates have matched into EM in Boston and landed some very research-friendly opportunities (extra fourth year for research with protected time and two shifts/wk as a junior attending). I assume that programs are doing these things to attract future potential MD/PhD faculty in EM. These classmates also said that they got a lot of feedback that there wasn't necessarily the expectation that they complete any fellowships before going after faculty positions in EM at many of the academic EM programs they interviewed at.

Lots of appeal to fast paced shift work 1-2 times a week and then lab time for the rest...

While I'm not familiar with current faculty positions, this n=2 trends seem to suggest that your unicorn is waiting for you to climb aboard and ride this mythical beast to a future career in EM/tox academic medicine!

God speed.

I think the above poster is referring to the program at BIDMC and their optional 4th year. It's not really something competitive that you "land" beyond becoming a resident in their program. Every resident is guaranteed a spot if they want it.

But the part-time clinical obligation described - shifts once or twice a week with the remainder for research is common for EM research fellowships.

Though the OP should note that a research fellowship is not the same thing as a tox fellowship.

Status
Not open for further replies.