MD/PhD for non-science major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mnbvcxz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering what undergraduate coursework is required to get into the PhD part of MD/PhD. I'm a non-science major. MD/PhD program which interest me so far are computational immunology, computational genomics, microbiology and immunology. I don't really know enough about the difference research fields to know for sure. What classes must I take to get into these? Websites are pretty unclear. They say that they want a "foundation in the basic sciences" and the schools that I have e-mailed so far just refer me back to the website. On one hand it looks like one can get into these PhD programs with just the MD pre-requirements and research, but on the other, it just doesn't make sense to get into PhD microbiology with Intro Biology I and II as my only biology class or PhD computational biology with only Calc IV.
What do you guys think?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I was wondering what undergraduate coursework is required to get into the PhD part of MD/PhD. I'm a non-science major. MD/PhD program which interest me so far are computational immunology, computational genomics, microbiology and immunology. I don't really know enough about the difference research fields to know for sure. What classes must I take to get into these? Websites are pretty unclear. They say that they want a "foundation in the basic sciences" and the schools that I have e-mailed so far just refer me back to the website. On one hand it looks like one can get into these PhD programs with just the MD pre-requirements and research, but on the other, it just doesn't make sense to get into PhD microbiology with Intro Biology I and II as my only biology class or PhD computational biology with only Calc IV.
What do you guys think?
Thank you

Most med schools' websites have blurbs about how upper level sciences are highly recommended. That goes double for MD/PhD programs. If you like genetics, then take some upper level/intro grad genetics courses. Also, it goes without saying that research in your areas of interest is pretty crucial to not only find out what it's like but to also get a foot in the door.

I think the more important question is do you have any research experience in these fields? If you have a strong research background, I could see them letting you in regardless of your coursework, and if you don't have research experience then the course work is moot.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to do science research why are you not a science major? Do you even know if you are good in these fields? The areas you have named are areas that I worked in/currently work in and I can tell you with two bachelors in science fields it still took me about 6 months to get up to speed on Micro/Immunology and about 3 for computational stuff....

Have you already completed undergraduate as something else? What is your major? What's the dealio?

I think you can get away with a nonscience major. But it would be beneficial to have some upper level coursework and research in your area(s) of interest. If nothing else, it'll help you verify that the fields you're currently thinking of are in fact the right match for you. Are there any upper level undergrad courses in immunology, microbiology, molecular bio or genetics that you could take, just so you have something beyond the basic prereqs?

(I'm coming from the background of doing a music degree. But I also have BA in biochemistry that meets the basic prereqs as well as a few upper level biochem classes and a lot of coursework in neuroscience, my area of interest.)

Thanks a lot for your answers guys. So if I were to take Immunology, Genetics, Linear Algebra, and an upper level computational course, in addition to the pre-med requirements do that I mean I would be fine? What if I did not take these but scored very well on the relevant GRE Subject Tests? Which one carries more weight? Great GRE scores in math, biology, biochemistry or actually taking the classes? Would I be at a disadvantage compared to a Biology major or is it more of a "threshold" situation where once one proves that they can handle grad level coursework, the commitee looks for other things?

I choose my major because I really love it, although I also really love science. It so happened that the best school I could get into for my major only offers science classes as electives through cross-registration with some other school, while the best school I could get into for science does not offer as strong an artistic education as I wish for. It was a difficult dilemma but I am happy with the way it turned out. I'm a sophomore. Thanks again for your help guys. If anybody else has any thought on this, maybe a current MD/PhD?

What if I did not take these but scored very well on the relevant GRE Subject Tests? Which one carries more weight? Great GRE scores in math, biology, biochemistry or actually taking the classes?

Look carefully at the requirements for many MD/Ph.D. programs. Most of them just require the MCAT, not the GRE. (Let alone GRE subject tests). It depends on the Ph.D. program, though. Check out this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=507110 You should also look over the relevant course material for the GRE subject tests and consider whether you could really prep all that material on your own without taking the relevant coursework. (If it were me, I’d take the classes. If I’m going to take the time to master all that material for a GRE, I’d want to show it off with a good grade in a science class.)

You want to weigh the balance of making sure you have a strong academic/research background in the sciences with making sure you don't overwhelm yourself. If you struggle too much with the upper levels, it could lower your science GPA, which would also not be ideal. That's a line you have to figure out for yourself. You could also consider doing a masters program to strengthen your science background if you didn't feel you had a strong enough background following undergrad. You've got lots of options and time to figure it out, so no worries. : )

If anybody else has any thought on this, maybe a current MD/PhD?

I'm not a current MD/PhD, so does my opinion still count? :laugh: First, as pointed out the GRE is not a factor for MD/PhD admissions. So, take that off the table.

1) You need several years of research experience before applying MD/PhD. Have you started obtaining research experience in any of these fields of interest yet? If not, start trying to find a lab to work in ASAP.

2) If you do obtain research experience, ask your advisor which science courses are most appropriate for your area. If you do not yet have research experience, start taking upper level science courses of interest. Either plan to dual major or minor in a science. You don't NEED to do this, but you do NEED to take some upper level science relevant to your research area and area of interest.

Now you are asking specifically what and how many courses you need. There are no hard and fast rules for this, hence why nobody is answering your questions concretely. But when an adcom sees an application from a non-science major proposing to do a science PhD with little research or coursework experience in science, they're not going to review you favorably. So to directly answer your question: take as much upper level science (BCPM courses) as you can given your cirriculum. Obtain as many As as possible.

Get research experience and take classes in these areas. From applying to a non-biology PhD, very few schools require the GRE (sociology, math, engineering, epidemiology when they were required). Subject exams, especially in math, are only necessary if you're doing a PhD in mathematics (usually only regarded for the pure mathematics emphasis). Just get the experience in research and take interesting, related classes :)