MD/PhD from a wheelchair...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

captainwelch

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Greetings,

Two years ago I suffered a complete T-5 spinal cord injury. For obvious reasons spinal cord injury research became a primary interest in my life. So I went back to school, and now I'm finishing up my second year of a dual BS in biology/neuroscience.
I want to get into a MSTP. Is anyone, or has anyone gone through one of these programs from a wheelchair? What additional challenges could I expect from being confined to a chair?
 
So actually, I think most of your issues will be on the MD side, since the PhD is generally just like the research that you have currently been doing (just longer and more drawn out).

I know of a physiatrist who lectured us from a wheelchair, so it can be done (I will PM you her details). The hardest issue I think would be the patient exam ... I am not quite sure of what the mechanics of that would look like.

I wish you the best of luck ...
 
Freak is correct. PhD will be more of the same but MD will be the limiting factor. I have not personally seen MD/PhD in a wheelchair but have worked with MD resident in PMR who was in a wheelchair. He was awesome, so it definitely can be done.

Physical exam may be a challenge and clinical rotations may be a logistical challenge. But chasing surgery residents around the hospital can be a challenge on your feet as well! I don't think it should prevent you from pursuing it if that's what you really want.

When applying places, if you think the MD side is going to be supportive enough, you'll probably be good to go. Maybe there are more posts in the main MD forums?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is an M2 at my school in a wheel chair. I'm sure it's challenging, but she seems to get by just fine. There will be some specialties that may be very difficult for you physically, but if you want to, then you can do anything.
 
One my colleagues in my MSTP is in a similar situation. PM me for details.