MD-PhD Gap Year?

Started by EileenX
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

You are off to a great start! Provided you do well on your MCAT and you have some success with publishing in the upcoming year, you will be a very strong candidate even at the top programs. In my opinion you will not need a gap year to improve your application. If you want to take a gap year or years for personal reasons then go for it.

I am currently in my second gap year. During the first, I finished a CNS paper and submitted two patent applications from my undergrad research and during the second I continued with an international masters program. I have had the opportunity to travel a lot, learn a language and do really cool research. Taking gap years has helped me refocus and really improve my application.

There are many ways to build a strong application but significant research involvement and being able to discuss your research contributions during your interviews seems to be a requirement. I do not have a strong preference for pursuing a new project somewhere else for a year or developing your current project further. Both routes have benefits. I actually would say that summarizing your experiences into a cohesive motivation for your application and career path is more important than the specific experience.

I think you will also find that many fellow applicants will have inferiority issues. I would also encourage you to take a breath and relax. You have set yourself up to be a really successful candidate but that is only the beginning of a career as a physician scientist. One year now will seem like nothing later.

You can PM me if you have more specific questions. I also went to a state university and had many of the same feelings and worries that you have expressed.

Best of luck!