MD/PhD hopeful... help...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuron007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I recently got my MCAT scores back. I am not very happy with them but they are what they are... I am writing this because you guys are the creme of the pool and can advise me honestly about my eligibility for the MD/PhD program.

Here are the facts..

1. I moved to US a few years ago as a resident and English is my second language

2. I volunteered at a clinic in my country during high school but don't have any medical experience here at all.

3. I have held leadership positions in Student Government and an honor society. I am also a member of a couple of other organizations.

4. I have a year worth of research experience and a paper in the pipe. I have also presented my work a couple of times locally.

5. I started out at a community college.

6. My overall undergrad GPA is 3.67, my science GPA is 3.54 and my GPA at the current university is 3.2 and I am graduating in Fall.

7. My MCAT score are 12PS, 08VR, 11BS and L in WS:(. (is an L in WS going to hurt my chances for MD/PhD)

If you guys can tell me what my chances are for getting into good MSTP schools and what i can do to improve them, that would be awesome.

THANKS in advance you guys....I really need this advice...:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody,

I recently got my MCAT scores back. I am not very happy with them but they are what they are... I am writing this because you guys are the creme of the pool and can advise me honestly about my eligibility for the MD/PhD program.

Here are the facts..

1. I moved to US a few years ago as a resident and English is my second language

2. I volunteered at a clinic in my country during high school but don't have any medical experience here at all.

3. I have held leadership positions in Student Government and an honor society. I am also a member of a couple of other organizations.

4. I have a year worth of research experience and a paper in the pipe. I have also presented my work a couple of times locally.

5. I started out at a community college.

6. My overall undergrad GPA is 3.67, my science GPA is 3.54 and my GPA at the current university is 3.2 and I am graduating in Fall.

7. My MCAT score are 12PS, 08VR, 11BS and L in WS:(. (is an L in WS going to hurt my chances for MD/PhD)

If you guys can tell me what my chances are for getting into good MSTP schools and what i can do to improve them, that would be awesome.

THANKS in advance you guys....I really need this advice...:scared:

If you want it, do it. Getting in with that MCAT score is not impossible.

If you want it, do it. Getting in with that MCAT score is not impossible.
I agree.

OP, all of your MCAT subscores are average or better, and your overall score is reasonably good. I'd actually be more worried about your most recent GPA of 3.2 than I would be about your MCAT score.

My VR was an 8 and I got in.