MD/PhD in Epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theprizefighter

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, All

Does anyone know how long, on average it takes to get a PhD in Epidemiology under the asupices of either an MSTP or other MD/PhD program? I would guess it might be a little shorter than a typical basic science PhD but I wanted to see what opinions/experiences are in this area.

Thanks,

theprizefighter

Members don't see this ad.

theprizefighter said:
Hi, All

Does anyone know how long, on average it takes to get a PhD in Epidemiology under the asupices of either an MSTP or other MD/PhD program? I would guess it might be a little shorter than a typical basic science PhD but I wanted to see what opinions/experiences are in this area.

Thanks,

theprizefighter

It's probably longer than a typical basic science PhD because there isn't much overlap between the first two years of med school and PhD programs in epidemiology. I would guess that if such programs even exist, they typically take about 4 years for the PhD in Epidemiology. Of course, it often depends on the professor with whom you work.

There are at least 3 students in my MSTP who are pursuing a PhD in Epidemiology. It generally takes longer than your standard basic science PhD, because you first have to earn your MPH degree with the School of Public Health. This is very course-heavy thereby precluding any in-depth research during this period. Usually an extra year is tacked on for a total of 4-5 years on average.