MD/PhD in social sciences and humanities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medgirl25

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a graduate student applying to medical school next cycle. I completed biomedical research as an undergraduate for two years(with poster and presentation), but have a strong interest in bioethics and medical humanities. I have ample experience/leadership in programs that address healthcare disparities and equity.

I've been researching MD/PhD for quite some time and recently found out, many schools offer graduate programs in the social sciences/humanities for the PhD degree. I would like to know how are applicants accessed for MD/PhD programs? Do you indicate which graduate program you're interested in and assessed that way? Also, will this hinder my chances of acceptance for MD schools(since my applications will be submitted after)?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! Were you able to figure out any more about MD/PhD in social sciences? I'm interested in pursuing a similar path. I would love to know how you're doing on your journey.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is very program specific. There's always been a heavy bias towards MD/PhDs pursuing bench research. Some of the MD/PhD programs, typically the larger ones, will allow a limited number of students to do PhDs in social sciences if they have a lot of experience in that area and can make a good case for it with no significant flaws in the application otherwise.

Yes most programs if you apply MD/PhD you won't get the same consideration for MD or considered at all. That's program dependent as well.

As you look at various MD-PhD programs, their web site will usually tell you which departments offer a PhD as part of the MD-PhD. For example, Harvard, Vanderbilt, Hopkins, Penn, Columbia, UCLA (to name a few) all offer some form of non-bench PhD. It may not be in your specific field.

I agree with @Neuronix that even though you may be an amazing MD-PhD candidate, a specific school may Pre-interview reject you since they don't offer or don't want a Humanities or Social Science MD-PhD student.

Spend some time scouring the various programs, and then send a letter to the MSTP coordinator about your specific interest. They will tell you whether or not they offer the program you desire.

The medical scholars program at UIUC offers an MD/PhD in which the PhD can be almost anything that the school offers (so it can be in Math, Engineering, or things like Sociology, Philosophy, Anthropology, etc)