MD/PhD in Surgery?

Started by pbrocks15
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pbrocks15

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

I'm very interested in research but I also find surgery to be extremely fascinating.

I was wondering if its atypical to find MD/PhDs in surgery?

Also, I want to eventually be an attending at a Hospital as I was able to shadow a few attending docs and found it to just be really cool. Does the institution where I get my PhD matter much to what kind of doctor and research I want to do?

I have a high GPA and will be taking a the MCAT in October and then taking a Gap year to do research, hopefully at the NIH but I have a few other plans.


Thanks everyone!