MD/PhD limit chances for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flpostbac

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

This subject has bound to come up by someone, but I can't seem to find it. I was wondering if by applying for MD/PhD that I am in any way limiting my chances for just MD alone. In other words, if one is rejected for the combined degree, are they automatically rejected for the MD as well? Does anybody suggest any strategies on how to apply for these programs? Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools will ask you if you want MD/PhD alone, or to be considered for both MD/PhD and MD separately. Usually a rejectiono from MSTP means that your file is then passed on to MD for separate review, so there is not "automatic" rejection. There is anecdotal evidence, however, that checking the "Both" box will get you a rejection from MSTP (esp. UCs) since it somehow indicates a lack of committment. It is not supposed to work that way, though.

If you are interested in straight MD in the event MSTP doesn't want you, then the best strategy is the same strategy I would take anyways. That is, write a strong PS that emphasizes your committment to medicine, also mentioning your research, but save most of your research for the MSTP essay. That way if MSTP doesn't like you then you still have a good MD PS, and if they do, then they still have all they need to know in your MSTP essay.

It doesn't hurt you. I got rejected from both Davis' MD/PhD program and Georgetown's MD/PhD program and got into both of their MD program.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by Spudster:
•There is anecdotal evidence, however, that checking the "Both" box will get you a rejection from MSTP (esp. UCs) since it somehow indicates a lack of committment. •••••Better file this rumor with the old anecdotes about interviews with nailed shut windows, and chairs missing one leg.

Committees know that any intelligent MD/PhD applicant will check "both" because they can re-apply during med school.

As a scientist, you should be the first to be skeptical of "anecdotal evidence". In fact, you could argue the opposite and say that in fact you show increased committment by checking MD/PhD and MD because you are willing to attend their school regardless of which track you get admitted. Bottom line: the UCs and other schools do not factor what you checked in that little box into their decisions as far as I am aware. Focus on the important factors: grades, MCAT, personal statement, MD/PhD essay, letters of rec, extracurriculars, and of course your research. :D

By all means, be skeptical. I'm just passing along all of the great rumors I heard on the interview trail. It did not hold true in my experience, so go ahead and check "both" if it floats your boat.

hah, they would be some righteous ba$***** if they knocked you out for mstp if you put down both, this isn't like joining a frat! or is it. it seems like a lot of this medical school stuff has a high [] of righteous people lurking about. but i don't doubt that it has happened to some people.-jot

Thank you for all the replies...I think I will check both.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by flpostbac:
•Hello all,

This subject has bound to come up by someone, but I can't seem to find it. I was wondering if by applying for MD/PhD that I am in any way limiting my chances for just MD alone. In other words, if one is rejected for the combined degree, are they automatically rejected for the MD as well? Does anybody suggest any strategies on how to apply for these programs? Thank you for your time.•••••The only way it can really hurt you is that it normally takes a while to get the MSTP app transferred to the med people if you don't get into the MD-Ph.D. program. Thus, if you apply late to the MSTP and get rejected, you'll be REALLY LATE to the MD committee. (in schools where the apps go through MSTP people and then med)