MD/PhD, MD/MPH, MD/MBA, etc....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay this is sort of silly/obvious/dumb question. I noticed that there are a whole slew of combined degrees in med school, is this a trend in medical education? Is it really advantageous to have this combined degrees?

Members don't see this ad.

No significant advantage unless you are the type that just likes being in school.

The only one that is somewhat advantagous is the MD/PhD for the PhD who wants easier access to funding.

Don't forget the awesome nickname the MD/PhD's get: mud-fud.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say it just really depends on what career tragectory you'd like. Having "just" an MD is going to open most doors in your career. And, if you want to "just" practice, that is going to be sufficient. Most combined degree folks have career goals that might not be simply "med school --> residency --> fellowship --> practice --> retire".

For instance - want to do academic medicine and lots of research? MD/PhD gives you a stronger research background (but plenty of MDs do good research without it).

What to do clinical research? MD/MPH may give you more background for this.

Want to learn more about developing public health programming, health education, disease control and outbreaks, global health, etc. - MPH/MPH/MPH. Also, for some jobs (faculty in public health schools or medical directors of depts of health, you generally need a PhD alone or an MD/MPH).

What to apply business models do your private practice office, or working in medical administration for a hospital or HMO? MD/MBA

Health policy? Liability law? Government? MD/JD

(and so on - you get the picture). One of the best things about medicine though is that there are so many career options when you are done.

It just seems that getting a joing degree is advantageous over doing just an MD, I mean doctors that are running their own practice the MBA route is a plus, while doctors who want to get involved in health policy or public health administration an MPH is a plus and so forth.