MD-PhD (MSTP) Program for PhD in Neuroscience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clg5026

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning on applying to MD-PhD programs for 2010-2011. I'm currently doing research at the National Institute on Drug Abuse doing human fMRI work with drug users.

For my PhD, I'd like to continue doing fMRI work with humans (examining drug abuse and/or psychiatric disorders in adults and developmental studies in children/adolescents). I personally would like to get a PhD in this area (rather than doing just clinical research through an MD program or doing a fellowship after medical school, etc) to get the formal training in the scientific process, grant writing, running a lab, etc. I'd ultimately like to work with similar populations with a main focus on research as well as psychiatry/child and adolescent psychiatry after finishing school.

I've seen on many posts that people recommend MD-PhD programs for people who want to do "basic science" research, which isn't exactly what I'm interested in. But I definitely want to get a PhD in neuroscience (hopefully working with neuroimaging in humans) to get a solid background in research.

I'm basically wondering if my goals for MD-PhD programs are logical or if there are any other suggestions for how to incorporate my research and medical interests.

Members don't see this ad.

My research is similar, although I am more interested in psychiatric illness than drug use. I found that some programs are very open to the idea of students doing their PhD research in fMRI or other human imaging, while other places are less receptive.

My advice is do a good bit of research when picking programsto apply to, just to make sure that they have faculty/resources/programs that will allow you to do the kind of work that you want to. In some places, the people that you might be most interested in working with are classified as members of the "psychology" department rather than neuroscience, and depending on how hard it is to get departmental listing in neuroscience at that school, they might not be available to you as potential mentors. I found plenty of schools to apply to, but I did a lot more looking at potential thesis advisers than some of my friends did in the application process, and some schools with great programs didn't make my list because I didn't think that I would be able to do the research that most interested me in thier program.

But it's certainly possible, and I think the combined training is a great path for getting the experience to do great work in fMRI. Good luck.

I'm at UCLA's MD/PhD program going into year 2 of my PhD. There are several people here, including me, doing their PhD in fMRI in the Neuroscience program. I'm studying adolescents with autism and other people here studying drug addiction (Meth) other clinically related topics.

So yes it is definitely possible- but to echo magwi, it will be variable at the programs you apply to so you need to be proactive in asking about it and speaking with appropriate faculty.

PM me if you want any more details about UCLA

I've seen on many posts that people recommend MD-PhD programs for people who want to do "basic science" research, which isn't exactly what I'm interested in.

Many people still do consider what you're talking about to be basic science. Basic science doesn't have to be benchwork. I do agree though with what others have said. Some programs have more people at their school who do this kind of work than others. Do your homework, find which programs are strong in this work, and apply there. The program should appreciate you trying to play to their strengths as a reason for applying.

I'm basically wondering if my goals for MD-PhD programs are logical or if there are any other suggestions for how to incorporate my research and medical interests.

I'm still the lone technical MR physicist who cries out at everyone: make sure you really understand the physical basis of the techniques you're using!!!