MD/PhD Neuro Match Rate

Started by jake2
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jake2

Radiology Attending
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anybody know what the match rate is for MD/PhD's going into neurosurgery? Obviously it helps to have the PhD but I was wondering how much. Is it really very important to match into the top academic programs?

I ask because I've been given the oppurtunity to transfer into my school's MSTP after the basic science years and am trying to decide whether to go for it. I actually rather enjoy doing research and would like to go academic medicine, but am unsure whether it's worth 4-5 years of my life when I could be doing research with just an MD. Will it help much with getting grant money after residency? I'm fairly set on neuro, and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
 
which school are you from if you don't mind me asking.....you can PM me if you want....