MD / PhD non medical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fedor

gunning like the NRA
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would one still be considered an MD / PhD if his PhD was completed prior to medical school and was in a discipline not related to medicine per se (chemistry, economics, history, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad.

fedor said:
Would one still be considered an MD / PhD if his PhD was completed prior to medical school and was in a discipline not related to medicine per se (chemistry, economics, history, etc.)?
ha...You would be an MD/PhD to me...since you'd have an MD...and a PhD. It wouldn't be the same program as MSTP people, but you still did the work to get two degrees. It just makes you a more well rounded person that us nutjobs.

fedor said:

I heard somewhere that people who got their PhD and MD in separate programs, i.e. not through an MD/PhD program, are called PhD/MDs, instead.

There is also (allegedly) a certain heirarchy, wherein the greatest prestige is an MSTP MD/PhD, followed by non-MSTP MD/PhD, followed by PhD/MD.

But that's just trash, as far as I'm concerned.

Those who list the PhD/MD has traditionally been due to the order that they completed the degrees and not becuase they did the degrees separately.

mercaptovizadeh said:
I heard somewhere that people who got their PhD and MD in separate programs, i.e. not through an MD/PhD program, are called PhD/MDs, instead.

There is also (allegedly) a certain heirarchy, wherein the greatest prestige is an MSTP MD/PhD, followed by non-MSTP MD/PhD, followed by PhD/MD.

But that's just trash, as far as I'm concerned.