md/phd not a good combo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

Hawaiiandoc04

Isn't 8 years of schooling way way too long... I mean, shouldn't one just pick a degree and stick with just that one? Also, I hear md/phd's are considered "tweeners" by many... looked down upon by md's for not mastering the art of medicine, and also ooked down upon by Phd's as not hardcore enough... i guess free tuition is one thing good about it....

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously, this is only my oppinion, so take it as you will...

Free tuition is a huge bonus, but it should definitely not be the primary motivation for going into an MD/PhD program. The MSTP was created by the National Institutes of Health for the express purpose of bridging the gap between clinical medicine and the science that drives advances in clinical medicine. The student is trained in medicine, but is also given a firm, formal research education and background. This provides a general context upon which to base future research. The free tuition part is intended as an incentive to interest people in becoming medical scientists who otherwise would not be so inclined.

I have also heard of the supposed stigma surrounding those who hold both an MD and a PhD, but what I have not heard is a logical argument stating why the dual degree is not a worthwhile accomplishment. It has been my experience that medical scientists tend to be at least as specialized, if not more than their single-degree counterparts. They are also qualified to make more, better educated decisions regarding medical protocols (than, say, a PhD holder) because they have at least some experience in clinical medicine.

I have been working at the NIH for exactly one year, and I have found that the vast majority of movers and shakers here hold both degrees. Believe me, there isn't one person on the NIH campus that wouldn't laugh at the idea of a dual degree program being a waste of time. In fact, these programs are generally regarded as an essential component of the medical education system. If the opposite were true, you can be sure that schools like Harvard, Stanford, UPenn, etc. would be among the first to drop them. Rather, these schools are home to the top MSTP's in the country.

CC

Also, the fact that MD/PhD candidates generally have to complete the legitimate requirements for both degrees makes the notion that they are "tweeners" seem foolish. Following school, MD/PhDs usually enter a residency (the same ones as MD-only holders) or a research post-doc (same as PhDs). The career trajectory following post-grad training is usually in accordance with the style (clinical or research) of training. I get the impression that the residency-bound MD/PhDs are also more likely to pursue 1-3 years of fellowship in research or technical specialization following board licensure in their specialties. So certainly not a waste of time. Some schools do seem to take an inordinately long time to complete the PhD... We all know why the average PhD (in any field) takes so long, and many programs have taken effective measures to streamline the graduate study for MDPhD students. It can help greatly that many MDPhD students have extensive prior research experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a MD/PhD at Columbia, I can tell you from personal experience why people think that Muddphuds are "tweeners" as you put it.

First on the MD side, you have to realize that just about 99% of all medical students will thrive on finding some way that they can be "better" than someone else; this is just the competitive nature that most premeds, especially those at highly ranked schools. So in general, unfortunately, academic research is regarded as a waste of time, since it does not directly contribute to earning power. Most of the jokes i get are of the lines of "yeah, so when will you graduate? in ten years?" In any case, MDs are going to disregard MD/PhDs, not because they aren't good doctors or smart (in fact, MD/PhDs tend to be higher academic achievers for obvious reasons), but because they want to believe the PhD is a waste of time and also are somewhat resentful that you are currently earning ~50K more than them. If people believed that a PhD would earn them more money or get them into a better position in the long run, everyone and their mother would be applying.

On the other hand, on the PhD side, its a bit opposite. PhDs are resentful of the fact that MD/PhDs generally take less time to do PhDs, and in the long run earn more money (I hate to relate all of this to money, but given our society, this is a strong influence on attitudes). PhDs value achievement intellectually and tend to see MD/PhD as not a "pure" way of going through things.

Ok, now for my viewpoint as an MD/PhD. I think that this is the best program for those who are truly interested to be on the forefront of academic medicine; what i mean by that is to really improve on medicine today by understanding the basic science. The MD/PhD program was made for one reason only: people saw that there is a dichotomy of thought process between the two fields; medical students pride themselves on knowing "everything", drug effects, symptoms of disease, etc. being a big sponge of knowledge. PhDs pride themselves on being able to solve things, that given a unknown real life problem, they can fix it. I think in order to do real medical research, you need to have both, which is tough, but the MSTP program is trying to get you there.

As a last thought, if you are interested in doing an MD/PhD, I think you should think to yourself where you see yourself in 10 years. For me, I'm not in any rush to start working or dealing with "real life," so 3-4 years doing research is perfect for me. Make no mistake about this, med school is NOT college, nor is residency. You WILL spend the better half of your 20's either on the wards or in a library. I don't think anyone really understands the extent of this going in, at least I didn't.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Excellent post- kudos to you, dphoenix, for succinctly describing the merits of MSTPs!:clap:

Originally posted by Hawaiiandoc04
Isn't 8 years of schooling way way too long... I mean, shouldn't one just pick a degree and stick with just that one? Also, I hear md/phd's are considered "tweeners" by many... looked down upon by md's for not mastering the art of medicine, and also ooked down upon by Phd's as not hardcore enough... i guess free tuition is one thing good about it....

Only an idiot or a fool would suggest that. I have talked to at least 50 MDs and a couple dozen PhDs and none of them had anything but respect for the combined MD/PhD

I have never heard a single MD proclaim that MD/PHDs cant do clinical medicine, and similarly I'ave never heard a PhD claim that the combined degree is watered down. Most PhDs dont really have an opinion on the matter and arent that familiar with the special combo program.

Originally posted by dphoenix
As a MD/PhD at Columbia, I can tell you from personal experience why people think that Muddphuds are "tweeners" as you put it.

First on the MD side, you have to realize that just about 99% of all medical students will thrive on finding some way that they can be "better" than someone else; this is just the competitive nature that most premeds, especially those at highly ranked schools.

Med students are substantially different than fully trained MDs. I would regard the med students opinion on this matter as worthless; they really dont know what the hell they are talking about and have no experience to speak from.

What regular med students think regarding MD/PhD is no more relevant that what their favorite color is.

So in general, unfortunately, academic research is regarded as a waste of time, since it does not directly contribute to earning power.

Only regular med students think this; doctors generally dont think about it and/or dont care.

Obviously academic MDs are likely to regard research with higher value than the clinical MDs; but even the clinical MDs would object to the statement that "academic research is a waste of time." Indeed, I have never met a single MD, MD/PhD, or PhD who expressed that opinion.

In any case, MDs are going to disregard MD/PhDs, not because they aren't good doctors or smart (in fact, MD/PhDs tend to be higher academic achievers for obvious reasons), but because they want to believe the PhD is a waste of time and also are somewhat resentful that you are currently earning ~50K more than them.

Given the fact that most MD/PhDs pursue academic medicine, they will tend to make LESS than the MDs, not more.

Again you seem to be relying on med students, as opposed to trained MDs, opinions on MD/PhD. You might as well ask the regular joe blow on the street because both opinions are equally irrelevant and worthless regarding the combined degree training.

There are a few MDs who regard the PhD as a waste, but they are few and far between. I would say less than 10% of MDs in academic medicine or clinical practice agree. At any rate, they are largely ignorant of what a PhD is or what kind of training is involved, so I dont know that they are qualified to speak about it as if they are intimately familiar with it. I have never heard an MD/PhD say that his PhD was a waste of his time; in these cases his/her interests changed and they no longer wants to pursue research. But thats more of a reflection on their own failure to think thru their decision to pursue the combo than a reflection on the "failure" of the PhD to do anything for them.

If people believed that a PhD would earn them more money or get them into a better position in the long run, everyone and their mother would be applying.

Yes PhDs generally dont earn all that much relative to their education level; but the vast majority are in it for teh intellectual stimulation, not the money.

Just because PhDs make less money doesnt diminish it as a career; anybody who thinks that obviously made a mistake in choosing medicine (MD or MD/PhD) as a career.

On the other hand, on the PhD side, its a bit opposite. PhDs are resentful of the fact that MD/PhDs generally take less time to do PhDs, and in the long run earn more money (I hate to relate all of this to money, but given our society, this is a strong influence on attitudes). PhDs value achievement intellectually and tend to see MD/PhD as not a "pure" way of going through things.

I disagree. Thats an outlier opinion (< 10%) of PHDs, not the norm. The vast majority appreciate the clinical background the MD can give you.

Out of maybe 40 PhDs, I've only met 1 guy who thought that, and even he was mostly ambiguous/nonchalant about it.

Ok, now for my viewpoint as an MD/PhD. I think that this is the best program for those who are truly interested to be on the forefront of academic medicine; what i mean by that is to really improve on medicine today by understanding the basic science. The MD/PhD program was made for one reason only: people saw that there is a dichotomy of thought process between the two fields; medical students pride themselves on knowing "everything", drug effects, symptoms of disease, etc. being a big sponge of knowledge. PhDs pride themselves on being able to solve things, that given a unknown real life problem, they can fix it. I think in order to do real medical research, you need to have both, which is tough, but the MSTP program is trying to get you there.

As a last thought, if you are interested in doing an MD/PhD, I think you should think to yourself where you see yourself in 10 years. For me, I'm not in any rush to start working or dealing with "real life," so 3-4 years doing research is perfect for me. Make no mistake about this, med school is NOT college, nor is residency. You WILL spend the better half of your 20's either on the wards or in a library. I don't think anyone really understands the extent of this going in, at least I didn't.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

I agree with everything else you said

I suspect that for many people, myself included, the fundamental question is how much/what kind of training do I need to do what I want to do, and what is the best way to get it. From my discussions with MDs, PhDs, and MD/PhDs, I think that for what I want to do, and given my family situation, the PhD (or equivilant training) in addition tot he MD would be a big help, and that doing a PhD during medical school (between M2 and M3) is the best time (for me) to get that training.

I agree with most everything that has been said on this thread. However, I do want to emphasize that although the MD/PhD pathway takes longer than the MD one, there still is no requirement that you put "real life" on hold. I have met many students or former students who have gotten married, had kids, and dealt with other life circumstances while in MD/PhD programs. I, for one, plan to take full advantage of what life has to offer during my years in the program.

Additionally, I think it is a good thing to realize that there are those out there (non-physicians, MDs, PhDs, etc) who will, to varying degrees, cast aspersions on the MD/PhD pathway. I recently met a new MD intern who was quite blatant in challenging why I had chosen to puruse the MD/PhD. Even after explaining to him the reasons I had chosen this pathway, I could tell he did not comprehend my motivations or goals. In my opinion, he was simply trying to buff up his own ego by putting down my career pathway.

However, I agree that people such as these tend to be in the minority and the vast majority of physicians and scientists that I have met have a good deal of respect for MD/PhDs.

How could a doctor with only an M.D. ever put down one with an M.D. and Ph.D.? I mean not only do you have the same M.D. degree they do, but you've also got a Ph.D. on top of that. If anything, it is the M.D./Ph.D. that should be "looking down" at the doctor with *only* an M.D. degree (not that I'm advocating being an MD/PhD elitist who sees pure clinicians as mere drones who follow mindless protocol and contribute nothing to the advancement of the very profession they are practicing ;) ).

a phd/md would make a significant amount of money less than an md who goes through residency, but i believe the md has to go through residency. through bypassing a residency as a phd/md, wouldn't you be gaining the benefit of a much better home lifestyle? to some, this may be worth the cut in pay.

(What kind of money do you make as a phd/md?)

Originally posted by gmcsierra
a phd/md would make a significant amount of money less than an md who goes through residency, but i believe the md has to go through residency. through bypassing a residency as a phd/md, wouldn't you be gaining the benefit of a much better home lifestyle? to some, this may be worth the cut in pay.

(What kind of money do you make as a phd/md?)

Only a very small number of MD/PhDs actually skip the residency. Doing so would definitely than put you on a similar level as a PhD, since, even though you went through the med school classes, your clinical experience would be severly limited, and you could not get a physician license. That would render the MD useless as far as any potential clinical research would be concerned.

Originally posted by ArrogantSurgeon
(not that I'm advocating being an MD/PhD elitist who sees pure clinicians as mere drones who follow mindless protocol and contribute nothing to the advancement of the very profession they are practicing ;) ).

:laugh:

Of course none of us would ever think something as outrageous as that :D

Members don't see this ad :)
basically people pursue an md/phd degree because md/phds are able to gain access to patients (by doing clinical rounds) and conduct clinical research as a result whereas phds will never have that previlege and always be stuck with basic science research. If you truly love medical science and the research that is associated with it, i believe spending nearly a decade in med school in order to achieve a dream such as developing a novel anti-tumor drug is all worth it in the end.

Actually, there are many PhDs that do clinical research or basic biomedical research. Having a PhD does not "limit" you to basic research. Instead, the PhD gives you scientific training in how to ask questions, developing ways of testing hypotheses, conducting experiments, analyzing data, making conclusions, and presenting results. These skills are applicable to any field of investigation, whether basic or clinical.

People pursue the MD/PhD for various reasons. For me, I want to have a clinical practice and conduct basic biomedical research. I feel that the clinical background provided by medical school and residency training will help guide my research interests and provide a humanistic backdrop in any laboratory work I may undertake. Furthermore, I believe that having a strong scientific background can add to the doctor-patient relationship in various ways, whether it means being up-to-date on the latest biomedical breakthroughs in the field, or being able to investigate a patient's clinical problems in a logical manner.

For further reference, I would recommend checking out the following site:
http://intransit.us

^I agree. PhDs could also do clinical research, mostly benchwork, however it would be very hard for them to do it as a principle investigator, which all MD/PhDs and PhDs want in the end. Also you need to have an MD to actually partake in clinical trials.

I just want to emphasize that the MD/PhD program should be for aspiring hardcore scientists who want to add a medical background to gain that extra edge in biomedical research (i.e. acquiring clinical samples). However, if you are an MD/PhD just for the purpose of becoming a clinician, then you are simply wasting time and a tweener as mentioned in an earlier post, hence not a good combo.

There are plenty of PhDs who partake in clinical trials and clinical research. For drug trials, they typically collaborate with MD physicians for direct patient access and are involved with planning the study, data analysis, etc. A great example is Jeff Bluestone here at UCSF, who is a PhD, investigates diabetes and transplant immunity, and has collaborated on a moderately successful drug trial.

However, there are many other types of clinical research that do not include drug trials. For example, during undergrad, I worked with PhDs who were interested in segmenting volumes of gray matter, white matter, CSF, etc using MRI scans of patients with neuropsychiatric disorders versus normal controls.

I agree with you that if one wants to solely do clinical medicine, the MD/PhD pathway is not the right one. At the same time, I tend to not look at the MD/PhD route with the goal of simply training "hardcore scientists" who want to gain the upper hand by acquiring a biomedical knowledge base. There are various PhD programs designed to give you this kind of background (as I mentioned on another thread).

Instead, the spirit of being a physician-scientist is such that interaction with patients via clinical practice can enhance and guide your research in subtle, yet profound ways. Whether it be seeing a patient during residency with a very interesting disease that you decide you would like to investigate, or having direct access to patients for tissue collection (as you mention), there are many ways in which clinical medicine can influence one's research activities.

We both clearly agree that what separates MD/PhDs from PhDs is interaction with patients which in fact give MD/PhDs a clearer and broader understanding of the research at hand than their PhD counterparts. For instance a competent PhD may figure out all the signalling pathways that are associated with a constituitvely active receptor in vitro but i doubt he/she would be able figure out its overall physiological ramifications in human body such as angiogenesis and oncogenesis. I also concur with you that in order for a PhD to succeed in clinical research he/she must forge a good relationship with MDs.

But I still stand by my statement that MD/PhDs pursue such a degree to have an inside track to biomedical research. Afterall isn't the Nobel Prize in Medicine our holy grail? Join the the dark side Vader :p.

Originally posted by psyuk
But I still stand by my statement that MD/PhDs pursue such a degree to have an inside track to biomedical research. Afterall isn't the Nobel Prize in Medicine our holy grail? Join the the dark side Vader :p.

I have to agree with Vader that the the desire to be on the forefront of biomedical reseacrh is probably not the best motivation for pursuing the combined program. At 36 years of age, this goal for me is one of satisifying my interest in science and medicine.

I would also like to add that I regularly attend "rounds" with MD's in Urologic Ocology and let me say without equivocation that the MD/PhD's in this group stand out due to their knowledge base. Not that they are "better" or "smarter"the the MD's in the group but that they more smoothly flow from ideas about treatment protocals to research protocals and believe me when i tell you that they command RESPECT. Without a doubt, earning the combined degree will NOT be a waste of time for the individual that aspires to a career in research.

To add an additional perspective, if one is so inclined into academic surgery, the MD/PhD degree is brilliant. Sure, one can persue research as either an MD or PhD, but to aproach surgical problems with the insight of a PhD and the clinical accumen of the MD - I am unclear how one could combine the two as well as the surgical scientist?

Yes, the extra time is a long time - But the time spent in a PhD program is not as rigorous as that of an MD program - (I can hear the PhD's screaming now) - it is merely different. I had plenty of time to do the things I wanted to do as a 20 something - and will come out in the end as a better trained clinician. Albeit, the time spent in a PhD may have little impact on ones technical aspects, it sure adds a hell of a lot to ones investigative inclinations.

Regardless, Nearly every Md/PhD I have come across is EXTREMELY happy in their career... The time spent in a combined program, or whether one chooses to do them separately is a matter of personal preference. Sure one is better spent doing their "time" in a fellowship, if they are inclined towards private practice, but all the cool stuff is in academics - in the end, when you are 10+ years into your practice - it is this cool stuff that keeps you going.

Food for thought.

Airborne

I want to add to this discussion some immediate points that wasn't raised.

I applied MD/PHD this past year, and my advisor was an MD/PHD. Truth be told, I had doubts throughout the process about whether what I did was indeed the right thing. It was not because the program was too long (mind you many phd programs take six years) The doubts really come primarily out of the question of whether I was bright enough, potentially, as a researcher, such that I could contribute sufficiently more so, if in the end, I chose a career in research rather than in clinical practice. I still wasn't able to answer the question for myself, but upon contact with many current MD/PHD students I not only learned that they are exceptionally bright people, many of them also have quite a high level of "social conscience". In a way, the reason they go into MD/PHD in because they believe by doing research they could actually contribute to the improvement of human health more so, than simply providing clincial service.

And the level of accomplishments of these students I've encountered was simply astounding. I was proud, if not a bit awed, even terrified to meet with some of them. I think being surrounded by students of such calibre is in its own way the best oppurtunity that one could have. I have no doubt that the overall student quality of many MD/PhD programs would probably be stronger than their MD or PhD counterparts. (Many PhD programs, even the top ones, PARTICULARLY in the biological sciences these days are so poorly organized that the ability of the students are simply not as universally strong, in my opinion.)

These students made me see what I was going into: being part of a group that is so driven, so talented, and so happy. I'm kinda losing my train of thought as I'm writing this post. Man, some of these kids, you oughtta just meet them and you go wow, this kid is totally amazing. (I personally met one at Univ of Washington, another at Univ of Wisconsin)

Anyways...of course we can think about all these career stuff future tense in a decade stuff. But for right here right now, if you want to be constantly stimulated by the cutting edge, then I think MD/PhD is THE best way to do it.

There is also a funny tendency for MD/PhD to be lower middle class, minority, immigrant kids who don't have (or didn't have) sufficient money. Obviously there are many reasons for going into something like this, but in a certain sense sociological history, if not current status, has a huge, albeit subconscious influence.

Boy do I digress...

I wonder whether or not I should apply to a MD/Phd Program. One one hand I worry about the long time, yet on the other hand, I always knew that research is and always will be my passion.

My question is this, do many Md/PhDs get a job or any funded reserach during their PhD years? My parents + loans have supported me thus far, and even though an MSTP program may guarantee free tuition, how will one pay for their other expenses (my parents are getting old and i really dont want to take any more of their money!).

Originally posted by sluox
There is also a funny tendency for MD/PhD to be lower middle class, minority, immigrant kids who don't have (or didn't have) sufficient money. Obviously there are many reasons for going into something like this, but in a certain sense sociological history, if not current status, has a huge, albeit subconscious influence.

I have to admit this is very interesting.
Personally, I don't feel qualified to either confirm or dispute your experience, but I wonder if I will reach the same conclusion.

If this is truly so, why do you think that is?

http://www.med.upenn.edu/camb/fac/Wilson.html

now this guy's a hardcore md/phd scientist.

though unfortunate with regards to a terrible mishap in his now infamous human gene therapy trial on an eighteen year old kid several yrs ago.

Originally posted by psyuk
[Bthough unfortunate with regards to a terrible mishap in his now infamous human gene therapy trial on an eighteen year old kid several yrs ago. [/B]

Neither science nor medicine is perfect. In the not too distant future, many lives will be imroved/saved as a result of many new medical treatrment protocals including gene therapy. Perhaps even your life or the life of someone you care about will be improved/saved one day.

i believe wilson stepped down as director. he also came to my medical institution to give a talk a few yrs ago. i respect him.