MD/PhD on AMCAS: Combined Degree Area Check Boxes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anashpiano

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm filling in the "Medical Schools" section of the AMCAS and, for some of the schools when I indicate "MD/PhD," it asks me which PhD program(s) I'm interested in. Some schools have at least 10 options...

Now, I'm pretty sure I know what areas I like and dislike, but I would like to hedge my bets as much as possible. I have also worked in enough labs to know that the "name" on a PhD degree often only peripherally relates to the actual work being done. Is there anything wrong with checking off all of the boxes?

PS: If this should be in the Pre-Allo forum instead, please just let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Not really, schools won't accept/reject you or make decisions on you according to what your research interests are. So feel free to check off any and all boxes!

yeah, I got the impression there just seeing where applicants research interests happen to lie.

So they aren't forwarding your application to these specific departments?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah, if anything, they will use these checkboxes to set up your interviews.

Hmm, my advisor thinks that checking too many of them off shows a lack of focus, as if I don't care what my PhD will be in. But if it's really not about forwarding the applications to those departments, it sounds like it can't hurt to check all that interest me, at least.

Are you speaking from experience at a specific school? Or is this sort of general knowledge?

Medical schools will look at what boxes you have checked to set up interviews in those departments. For example, for Pittsburgh I checked off pathology, so like half of my interviews were in the pathology department. However, the chair of the pathology department did in fact get a copy of my application, since she was in charge of setting up the interviews.

So to answer your question, your application will NOT be forwarded to every department whose box you check off, only to those relevant during the interview process, aka, departments interviewing you, if that.

Oh, by the way, at Pittsburgh, I realized that I didn't really want to do pathology...I kinda misunderstood what pathology departments do research in. I told the director that and she was more than happy to really help me find my interests. So no, checking things off or what not will not hurt you. Nobody REALLY knows what they are interested in, since interests change.

Medical schools will look at what boxes you have checked to set up interviews in those departments. For example, for Pittsburgh I checked off pathology, so like half of my interviews were in the pathology department. However, the chair of the pathology department did in fact get a copy of my application, since she was in charge of setting up the interviews.

So to answer your question, your application will NOT be forwarded to every department whose box you check off, only to those relevant during the interview process, aka, departments interviewing you, if that.

Oh, by the way, at Pittsburgh, I realized that I didn't really want to do pathology...I kinda misunderstood what pathology departments do research in. I told the director that and she was more than happy to really help me find my interests. So no, checking things off or what not will not hurt you. Nobody REALLY knows what they are interested in, since interests change.

Wow... they want to know our interests... and make the experience better... that just sounds so unlike the rest of this application process. Thank you for the information! :love:

Wow... they want to know our interests... and make the experience better... that just sounds so unlike the rest of this application process. Thank you for the information! :love:

Haha, yea...MD/PhD application processes are closer to a two-way street than MD applications... Not only do you have to impress the schools, schools are recruiting you as well.

Oops. I didn't check any of those boxes because it said optional... lol... CRAP!

I'm interested in several different things, but not really certain of any of them yet so...

Oops. I didn't check any of those boxes because it said optional... lol... CRAP!

I'm interested in several different things, but not really certain of any of them yet so...

No worries. When setting up your interviews, schools will ask you to submit a list of faculty you are interested in, effectively gauging your interest. (is that how you spell gauging? firefox says its spelled wrong...)

I think gage and gauge are pretty interchangeable. At leas,t FF thinks that it's "gaging." "Gauging" is technically correct, though. I guess it's just another one to add to the FF dictionary.