MD/PhD or straight-MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RILND

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my first year of college with a 4.0, a year of volunteering at a health clinic, and I've already begun research (second semester was an "Intro to Undergraduate Research" course where we worked in groups on separate projects. It was not lab work like you would do in an intro-bio class). I'm returning to school in June to begin working in a lab (which I have a place to continue in next fall as well).

Up until now (when I've been home with time to think and read up about things), I wanted to apply MD/PhD and study genetics in relation to orthopedic sports medicine and how those injuries heal. I don't think I had realized how much time someone in academic medicine commits to research over clinical medicine (about an 80/20 split, correct?). I enjoyed working in the lab because in the end my group succeeded in taking an excellent picture of what we were studying (I won't go into details on that...) which added tons of support to the lab's recent findings. I enjoyed how much I learned about the subject matter from researching. I just don't know if I would want to run my own lab (ie. apply for grants, review manuscripts, etc.).

I want to be able to do clinical activity as well. Some of my strongest memories/motivation comes from my volunteer work. I'm not sure if I want to do anything related to orthopedic sports medicine anymore because of the more extreme (for lack of a better word) lifestyle of surgeons (long residency after MD/PhD, more call, etc.). Or at least I know not to commit myself to some idealized goal at this age. I just know I still want the clinical experience even though I don't have a specialty nailed down.

So I'm not too sure how much of a question anyone can get out of that, but I would appreciate any general advice on why you chose to do MD/PhD. Is your primary goal to do research, or is anyone who is either into the program or practicing now more inclined towards clinical care (I know research isn't really something you can do "part-time").

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

On the big picture level: only do MD-PhD (at least the traditional, basic biomedical science kind) if you are very interested in research and want research to make up a substantial part of your future career. Otherwise, you run a high risk of being very unhappy during the process, because it's hard to survive grad school without daily self-motivation and enjoying what you do in lab.

As far as specialties that support research, it has traditionally been more difficult to be an independent basic science investigator in a specialty that is very surgically oriented (mostly because maintaining your skill set and patient base requires being in the OR for a significant amount of time). That said, it is becoming more common for MD-PhDs to apply to certain surgical specialties with some intent of doing science further in their career (ophtho and neurosurg come to mind). I don't personally know any students aiming for this pathway in ortho, although I do know at least one ortho attending at a large academic institution who ran his own basic science lab.

All this said, your clinical interests are quite likely to change as you go through med school. I would say over 50% of the MD-PhDs I know had this happen. Therefore, I would base your choice mostly on how much research matters to you - and on how much time you want to spend in training/how old you want to be when you're establishing your career.

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: Do you want your first real job when you're 30 or 35? If everyone was going off this question, I don't think anyone would choose MD/PhD :)

As an 18-year-old, a couple extra years of training seems like a long time, but did (or does) it feel that way for anyone who has gone through (or is going through) the MD/PhD process?

but did (or does) it feel that way for anyone who has gone through (or is going through) the MD/PhD process?

OMG YES :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You mean my classmates are going to be attendings in many specialties at the same time I'm just graduating from medical school?! What was I thinking?!

As an 18-year-old, a couple extra years of training seems like a long time, but did (or does) it feel that way for anyone who has gone through (or is going through) the MD/PhD process?

It feels EVEN LONGER when you are 30+! :eek:

Yes, it's bad enough when your Med school classmates are attendings, but even worse is seeing what your college friends have done during the 7+ years of extra school, not to mention residency. By the time I finish residency, pretty much all my college friends will have already earned over a $1 million easily.

It feels EVEN LONGER when you are 30+! :eek:

Yes, it's bad enough when your Med school classmates are attendings, but even worse is seeing what your college friends have done during the 7+ years of extra school, not to mention residency. By the time I finish residency, pretty much all my college friends will have already earned over a $1 million easily.

Big question though. Are you happy you did it? Would you rather have gone solely MD or PhD? What kept you going for all those years?

Big question though. Are you happy you did it?

Very mixed feelings.

Would you rather have gone solely MD or PhD?

MD

What kept you going for all those years?

Reasonably frequent vacations, personal leave of absence after PhD, slightly better lifestyle afforded to me by MD/PhD stipend.

Neuronix, if you don't mind my asking, what specialty are you planning on entering? (I'm guessing neurology based on your name.) Do you plan on more clinical care as opposed to research?

Big question though. Are you happy you did it? Would you rather have gone solely MD or PhD? What kept you going for all those years?
Oh, absolutely happy I did it. Honestly, I am a "life is a journey not a destination" kind of guy. I did not delay a personal life while I went to school. Instead I went out as much as I could manage, dated a bunch, eventually met my wife, and started a family. Kept in touch with friends from college and med school, lots of bachelor parties and weddings.

I've tried to make sure that my life does not become just about my career. I try to find the balance as best I can, and so far so good.