MD/PHD plus med school preperations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshinesunny

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now, please do not issue sarcastic remarks. Its a matter of serious career choice for me. Now with a 90 credit hour BBA with 3.6 CGPA is it possible to acruire the required courses through online or distance study?

Members don't see this ad.

Now, please do not issue sarcastic remarks. Its a matter of serious career choice for me. Now with a 90 credit hour BBA with 3.6 CGPA is it possible to acruire the required courses through online or distance study?

Not likely unless you have all of your pre-reqs for both medical school completed (not online) and your research coursework at this point. Pre-reqs for medical school here in the United States require one year of General Chemistry with lab, One year of Organic Chemistry with lab, One year of General Biology with lab and One year of Physics with lab. In addition, most Ph.D done as part of an MD/PH.D are in the area of biomedical sciences which have substantial laboratory requirements above the pre-med pre-recs.

There are courses that may count towards a degree that may be done on-line such as math, english, humanities but I am not sure that you are going to be able to do any substantial biomedical science coursework on-line.

Not trying to be sarcastic, but, as everyone has advised you in your multiple other threads, you really need to pick a single focus and take steps toward it. Wanting to combine PhD and MD is well and nice, but you are in Pakistan without all the prereqs and likely are going to have to retake a substantial portion of undergrad in another country to have a shot at an MD program alone, let alone a combined PhD/MD program. Online correspondence courses won't get you to your goal, I don't think. You need to figure out a concrete step toward a single degree. You probably should look into carribean med school programs, which may be amenable to your foreign (or maybe even online) credentials (but likey don't offer PhD opportunities), and check out the international boards for suggestions from like situated individuals as to how best to proceed.

Members don't see this ad :)

(1) Most schools do not accept online courses period. University of California med schools DO NOT.

(2) PhD programs require previous research experience, and taking the GRE and/or that TOEFL for the english language requirement. Have you done this? Both require scoring well to get into.

(3) Both PhD and MD/PhD require PROOF of research experience, whether through letters of recommendation or publications. Do you have this?

(4) PhD programs require a sponsoring professor, therefore you may need to have a professor that is willing to sponsor you in addition to being accepted into the program.

(5) Pakistani (or most other places in the world) courses do not equal courses taken in the United States. You will have to take classes in the US. NOT ONLINE assuming you are trying to apply to a US med school. Many classes have labs, such as organic chemistry, general chemistry and biology. How can you do those online?

and the most important question of all.

(6) How are you going to gain entrance into the United States or US territory (Caribbean) and become a permanent resident to just take classes?

I don't think you have a grasp of your situation or reality at this time since you are now asking about getting into an MD/PhD program without any documented research experience, let alone the classes needed to get into either MD or PhD program. I wish you luck but I don't think luck will help you unless you actually figure out a REALISTIC goal. Sorry to be blunt, but I'm sure everyone can agree that you have exhausted what can be said on SDN to "help" you.

(2) PhD programs require previous research experience, and taking the GRE and/or that TOEFL for the english language requirement. Have you done this? Both require scoring well to get into.

This is not always the case. I'm in a Ph.D. program at a Top 5 medical school, and I have met more than one Ph.D. student here who came in with ZERO previous research experience. Yeah, I was shocked, too. Let me make it clear that I do not recommend the OP go into a Ph.D. program w/ no previous research experience, but I do know of cases where people w/o experience were accepted. Attempting to get a Ph.D w/ no previous research is akin to attempting to get an MD w/ no clinical experience... how do you know that a research career is what you want when you've never done research? Not only should you have some research, you should spend enough time in the lab to really try to figure out if you want to be the PI of a lab as part of your career. That's where I ran into trouble... I applied to Ph.D programs after having done 1 year of undergraduate research, and while I liked my UG research, I found in graduate school that I have no desire to run a lab (or do anything else with a Ph.D.). I have found my clinical experiences much more fulfilling, hence the switch to med, but I digress. Getting a Ph.D. is not something one should take lightly. It's a longer haul than the MD route, and a very painful one if you find it's not what you want.

I think it's great trying to become a Doctor twice, although rather than a combined program it's possible to finish up one and then do the other. You could do research projects in your spare time (lol) as an MD for your PhD, or get your PhD and then do MD things but perhaps in a specialized field related to your thesis.

I have only briefly glanced as some your previous posts. But imho your best bet is to do your medical school studies in Pakistan and then apply for medical residency in a US program as a Foreign Medical Graduate (I might have screwed up some of the terminology names so someone can chime in if this is incorrect). Although I'm sure this is a really difficult path, HOWEVER it is by far not uncommon. I personally know M.D.'s who have gotten their med school completed in China, India, and some other countries but have had to do their residencies and in some cases re-do them here in the US - but after that it's worked out very well for them.