MD/PhD program suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdphd?

Reaction score
Hi, it was suggested that I look on this forum for additional help. I am interested in attending a program with medical imaging laboratories, which likely would involve a program offering mentorship towards completing a BME PhD.

My background:
3.7 GPA, 522 MCAT
Research experience and productivity:
Experience:
-3 years molecular/cell biology
-2 years medical imaging
Productivity:
>10 posters/presentations at institutional and international conferences
5 publications (1 first author, 2 second author, 2 else), reputable journals
~5 manuscripts completed/in progress (2 co-first author, rest variable contribution), one of the co-first authorships we expect will land in a JAMA sub journal.

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
-500 hours as a surgical technician
-300 hours in a community clinic

Shadowing experience and specialties represented
-Family medicine in a community clinic, emergency medicine in a rural hospital setting, dermatology in private practice

Non-clinical volunteering
-1000 hours food bank, lots of responsibility involved
-Various other short-term activities focused on food insecurity and mentorship of disadvantaged students

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
-NIH fellowship, leadership within the program
-Food bank leadership
-Tutoring, TA'ing, mentoring

Anything else not listed you think might be important
-From a medically underserved area (rural) and have experienced some adverse life events... circumstances that influenced my volunteering and research.

Members don't see this ad.

There are several Radiological Science PhD training programs affiliated with MD/PhD programs. You seem to have all of the necessary experiences. However, you can not just apply to top 10 programs and expect admission. You need to hedge a bit... PM me to discuss details.

It sounds you have a competitive app. What kind of advice are you looking for?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, it was suggested that I look on this forum for additional help. I am interested in attending a program with medical imaging laboratories, which likely would involve a program offering mentorship towards completing a BME PhD.

My background:
3.7 GPA, 522 MCAT
Research experience and productivity:
Experience:
-3 years molecular/cell biology
-2 years medical imaging
Productivity:
>10 posters/presentations at institutional and international conferences
5 publications (1 first author, 2 second author, 2 else), reputable journals
~5 manuscripts completed/in progress (2 co-first author, rest variable contribution), one of the co-first authorships we expect will land in a JAMA sub journal.

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
-500 hours as a surgical technician
-300 hours in a community clinic

Shadowing experience and specialties represented
-Family medicine in a community clinic, emergency medicine in a rural hospital setting, dermatology in private practice

Non-clinical volunteering
-1000 hours food bank, lots of responsibility involved
-Various other short-term activities focused on food insecurity and mentorship of disadvantaged students

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
-NIH fellowship, leadership within the program
-Food bank leadership
-Tutoring, TA'ing, mentoring

Anything else not listed you think might be important
-From a medically underserved area (rural) and have experienced some adverse life events... circumstances that influenced my volunteering and research.
I believe it is UCLA that has a very strong theranostics program. Depending on your interest towards medical imaging, RadOnc (with 'theranostics' being a key buzzword) is a great thing to look at.

From here, if you click on the Radiology tab it should give a decent sorting of level of funding per program towards radiology, which I believe encompasses most medical imaging/rad onc.

With that kind of research, you should prepare for “why do you need a PhD?” You would be fine to be a physician-scientist in BME with an MD and your experience, no extra years of school needed. I personally know plenty of MD’s who are successful as clinicians and scientists at the bench or in clinical trials.

I also have a strong publication and research background, so I had to answer the above question in interviews. If you really want to do a double degree, be sure to have a specific goal for how it fits in your career plan. You have strong stats and activities for starting an MD-PhD. I think schools want to also see a plan for how you will use both degrees in a career.

Reactions: 1 user