MD/PhD Programs for Health Policy/Economics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quadomatic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my second year in a BA/MD program, doing a dual degree in Biology and Psychology (Minors in Math/Computer Science and Chemistry). I plan on graduating in the Spring of 2012.

I hope to do an MD/PhD in health policy/economics. Understanding how health policy can affect treatment outcomes and patient spending (different insurance policies, cost/benefit of different treatment options) is very interesting, and I want to conduct research on such topics in the future. I want to be involved in discussions on the actual implementation of health policy as well. The MD offers the opportunity to make a direct impact on patient outcomes, and gives an important perspective on the nuances in the delivery of health care, making clinical medicine an invaluable experience in understanding where interventions can be made.

The research experience I've had thus far is limited to Psychiatry, so I plan on doing some work with health policy faculty in my university's school of public health. I also hope to earn a MS in health policy (either in the UK or in the USA). I hope that the MS in health policy would be a strong credential for acceptance into the PhD program.

It seems like the programs for MD/PhD in the humanities are somewhat limited. These are the ones I know of: (from http://www.physicianscientists.org/careers/training/md-phd/ssh)

Harvard
UC San Diego
UChicago
UIUC
UPenn
WashU St. Louis
Yale (which apparently rarely accepts humanities PhD applicants)

Does anybody have any comments about these programs, or know of others?

Any advice?

UPDATE: Here's a better list I made after browsing AMCAS

Alabama-Birmingham
Duke
Emory
Harvard
UChicago
UIUC
UMich
UNC
UPenn
UVirginia
VCU
Yale
WashU St. Louis

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Welcome.

Did you read http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=785246 ? I mention there that you will need to contact programs directly to figure out what institutions would be compatible. I wouldn't rely on the list from the APSA.

I would focus on getting research experience rather than pursuing a master's degree. MS degrees are expensive and not necessary for MD/PhD admissions if you have good grades, MCAT, and relevant research experience.

Feel free to get in touch with questions.

I'm in my second year in a BA/MD program, doing a dual degree in Biology and Psychology (Minors in Math/Computer Science and Chemistry). I plan on graduating in the Spring of 2012.

I hope to do an MD/PhD in health policy/economics. Understanding how health policy can affect treatment outcomes and patient spending (different insurance policies, cost/benefit of different treatment options) is very interesting, and I want to conduct research on such topics in the future. I want to be involved in discussions on the actual implementation of health policy as well. The MD offers the opportunity to make a direct impact on patient outcomes, and gives an important perspective on the nuances in the delivery of health care, making clinical medicine an invaluable experience in understanding where interventions can be made.

The research experience I've had thus far is limited to Psychiatry, so I plan on doing some work with health policy faculty in my university's school of public health. I also hope to earn a MS in health policy (either in the UK or in the USA). I hope that the MS in health policy would be a strong credential for acceptance into the PhD program.

It seems like the programs for MD/PhD in the humanities are somewhat limited. These are the ones I know of: (from http://www.physicianscientists.org/careers/training/md-phd/ssh)

Harvard
UC San Diego
UChicago
UIUC
UPenn
WashU St. Louis
Yale (which apparently rarely accepts humanities PhD applicants)

Does anybody have any comments about these programs, or know of others?

Any advice?

Welcome.

Did you read http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=785246 ? I mention there that you will need to contact programs directly to figure out what institutions would be compatible. I wouldn't rely on the list from the APSA.

I would focus on getting research experience rather than pursuing a master's degree. MS degrees are expensive and not necessary for MD/PhD admissions if you have good grades, MCAT, and relevant research experience.

Feel free to get in touch with questions.

I'm concerned that my undergraduate study isn't exactly related to health policy or health economics. I'm a math minor, but Biology and Psychology degrees don't seem terribly compatible with my hopes for PhD study. I hoped that the MS would offer a good educational opportunity that would be more compatible with a health economics PhD.

Would I be better off spending a year after graduation getting research experience with faculty at my university's School of Public Health?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just as an aside, because I see this type of question come up a lot on this forum....

There are many fellowship programs for MDs in health policy, economics, finance, hardcore business, systems management, etc. I think these are way more common than MD/PhD programs in those areas. Just so people know that there are many ways of going down those paths. Some of the programs are quite famous.

Just as an aside, because I see this type of question come up a lot on this forum....

There are many fellowship programs for MDs in health policy, economics, finance, hardcore business, systems management, etc. I think these are way more common than MD/PhD programs in those areas. Just so people know that there are many ways of going down those paths. Some of the programs are quite famous.

Could you link me to any?

I probably didn't clarify this in my original post, but I entered undergrad in the Fall of 09, and am graduating in the Spring of 2012, so I'm finishing a year early.

I was intending a 1-year masters in health policy in the UK to be a gap year prior to my attending an MD/PhD program. I'm also considering staying in undergrad for a 4th year and doing Econ as a third major.

So, I'm now essentially caught between two options - going to grad school in the UK for a year, or staying in undergrad for another year.

The undergrad program as a whole here is not very challenging. Classwork here has been somewhat of a grind. However, staying another year poses the benefit of finishing an Econ degree and doing more research in the School of Public Health.

However, study in graduate school in the UK could offer a deeper educational experience. Also, wouldn't I be doing some research as part of my master's thesis? Some people have suggested that Masters thesis work could help you prepare for your dissertation.

Whether I choose to graduate in the Spring of 2012 and attend graduate school, or if I graduate in the Spring of 2013 and go straight to an MD/PhD program (hopefully), I would still be applying to the MD/PhD program at about the same time.

Any advice?

UK

But don't count on applying while you're abroad, gets very complicated, especially with interviex unless you've got a pile of cash buried somewhere.

I meant fellowships for people who have completed MD.

With regard to your question, I would not do either of the things you propose if they require you paying tuition, unless you have that kind of money to spend, in which case they both sound great...

...Does anybody have any comments about these programs, or know of others?...

See below regarding Case Western Reserve, just passing it along. Don't know anything about it:

For anyone already accepted to the [Case Western Reserve], there is an opportunity to apply to the MD/PhD program in Healthcare Organization, Outcomes, and Policy. Case is one of the few schools in the country to have a funded program in this field. The program typically lasts 6-7 years and there are a lot of great research opportunities for those interested in improving the delivery of US healthcare. The deadline for the application is the end of the month.

Email Alicia (the administrative coordinator) if you have any questions -- [email protected].

Here's a link I found as well:
http://epbiwww.case.edu/index.php/academics/phd-program/95-hcoop

I know this forum is very old, but can you say specifically any programs which you are thinking of? Thank you.