MD/PhD programs listing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor&Geek

25 > 5 / 15 < 8
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
<a href="http://www.jasonpaik.org/mdphd.html" target="_blank">http://www.jasonpaik.org/mdphd.html</a>

Worked on this for a little while over the past week. I hope that this might become a good, up-to-date, quick-and-easy summary of extant MD/PhD programs, especially non-NIH funded ones which some of us don't even consider when applying.

You might notice a lot of question marks: help me out by PMing or e-mailing me [ [email protected]] some more info. We'll make it a group effort.

Yours truly,

JPaikman

Members don't see this ad.

The current UCI stipend is $23,500 (wow, I didn't realize how much higher it was than LA's) for the entire program. It is expected to increase and an important note regarding UCI is that as of now all MSTP positions are fully funded, unlike what the out of date website says. The stipend at Mount Sinai is $25,000 for the entire program. The stipend at Finch is $16,500. The stipend at the University of Iowa is $20,000 for the entire program. A VERY important thing that should be included on the site is if the schools require or recommend the GRE. Loma Linda requires it.

For WashU, they offer a limited number of merit-based scholarships on top of the stipend (total of $10,000, or 2,000 per year for the first 5 years) which brings the stipend up to 22,500 if you are selected.

For Hopkins, the stipend during med school years is $18,100 (they just increased it last year). During graduate years, this increases to 20,000 I think.

I'm also pretty sure that Pitt accepts 13 people a year. The stipend is 18k. They receive about 220 applicants per year on average, around 60 are interviewed. This last year, Dr Wiley (director of Pitt MSTP) said they received a 40% increase in applications this past year.

Penn accepts around 20 a year. If I'm not mistaken, Penn is the 2nd largest MSTP behind WashU.

Univ of Virginia only has 6 funded slots per year. I dont think they have non-funded positions, but I'm not sure about that. They receive 150-175 applications per year,interview around 50, and offer accepts to about 12.
The stipend is $19,400 a year. Similar to WashU, they also offer a merit based Dean's Fellowship to an unknown number of MSTP acceptees. I *believe* this increases the stipend to around 22k per year, but I dont have the award letter in front of me so I cant say for sure. UVA will reimburse you up to $300 for travel expenses.

Members don't see this ad :)
JPaikman,

Does the number in the 2nd column represent the number of MSTP fellows per year? It might be difficult to get an accurate number for this. For example, I see you have 6 for the University of Michigan, but I am joining that program this year, and we have 16 new fellows (3 are already enrolled in the medical school). To add to your list, the stipend at Michigan is $19,000 for M1 and M2, $21,000 for the graduate phase, and $23,000 for M3 and M4.

Good luck with the website!
Andrea

JPaikman,

Any plans to add federally funded non-biomedical sciences MD/PhD programs to the list?

Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine has a MD/PhD in health services research and policy, funded through the U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. The stipend is $16,500, not taxed. Tuition for all MD and PhD years is covered, as well as a travel allowance for conference presentations.

I don't know of any similar programs. Last I heard, Yale and the University of Minnesota were developing their own programs but I have yet to substantiate that rumor.

Cheers
-a.

Why is CWRU's stipend untaxed? What makes it special? The MSTP stipends are certainly taxed and it's handed out by the government...

none said:
•••quote:••• Why is CWRU's stipend untaxed? What makes it special? The MSTP stipends are certainly taxed and it's handed out by the government... ••••I believe that atsai3 is just mentioning the *pre-tax* income, and not that the stipend is untaxable.

Hopkins2010 said:
•••quote:••• Penn accepts around 20 a year. If I'm not mistaken, Penn is the 2nd largest MSTP behind WashU. ••••I counted the number of pictures in their facebook. Either people didn't show up to their photo session or people just didn't attend, either of which I do not know.

He continues:
•••quote:••• Univ of Virginia only has 6 funded slots per year. I dont think they have non-funded positions, but I'm not sure about that. They receive 150-175 applications per year,interview around 50, and offer accepts to about 12. ••••Again, I counted the new entrants to the class of 2001 posted on UVA's website. I'll take your word over my guessing.

atsai3 said:
•••quote:••• Any plans to add federally funded non-biomedical sciences MD/PhD programs to the list?
••••Not at this moment. Maybe later.

RNAgirl said:
•••quote:••• Does the number in the 2nd column represent the number of MSTP fellows per year? It might be difficult to get an accurate number for this. For example, I see you have 6 for the University of Michigan, but I am joining that program this year, and we have 16 new fellows (3 are already enrolled in the medical school). ••••Again, I'm only counting what they in the number of students in years 1-2 in medical school. Michigan must have undergone a massive expansion program, or maybe I'm just plain wrong. :wink:

Website updated. Thanks to all those who've contributed so far.

Jason