MD/PhD programs that emphasize physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FictiousForce

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there programs out there that allow you to specialize the PhD towards physics? I know the Harvard MD/PhD has the MIT MEMP (Medical Engineering and Medical Physics) which offers a concentration in Physics, but are there others out there like it?

Physics is something that deeply interests me and medicine is the career path I want to take—so, naturally, I want to do an MD/PhD with a physics emphasis.

Members don't see this ad.

Are there programs out there that allow you to specialize the PhD towards physics? I know the Harvard MD/PhD has the MIT MEMP (Medical Engineering and Medical Physics) which offers a concentration in Physics, but are there others out there like it?

Physics is something that deeply interests me and medicine is the career path I want to take—so, naturally, I want to do an MD/PhD with a physics emphasis.

As admirable as the attitude may be, the physics that probably interests you is not the one that suffuses biology. I also majored in physics. You will not find particles, much of E&M, classical mechanics, special relativity, or gravitation here!

If you like statistical mechanics (thermodynamics, and then on to non-equilibrium thermodynamics, kinetics, and transport processes/diffusion), as well as fluid mechanics, then maybe a physics angle in medicine is for you. Maybe some condensed matter/soft matter physics as well. Of course, imaging modality research goes into things like nuclear physics.

So yes, there is some physics in medicine/biology at this time, but it's an eclectic mix and not what we usually think of when we think of physics.

Yep, the only thing I would add, is I saw a strange ad posting last year looking for an MD with a PhD in atmospheric physics to study health effects related to global warming. Not sure how much of a field that might become, but as the climate continues to warm (regardless of cause) there may be an increased need for physicians/providers to be able to understand long term health consequences related to this from a policy perspective. Could be a creative niche.....unsure on demand for services though.

Otherwise, if you're interested in imaging, as the other poster alluded to, nuclear physics could be a good match.

Members don't see this ad :)
Biophysics PhD here. The key is that you need to look for applied physics programs, which are typically included in biophysics or engineering. You can still take classes in a physics department, but a physics department is typically geared more towards basic physics (particles, astrophysics, etc...) with a lot of undergraduate teaching and lengthy basic, often theoretical, theses that are not applicable to medicine.

There are PhDs in Radiological Sciences spanning fMRI, PET and other diagnostic techniques to the Radio-oncological (treatment) disciplines. There is also Biomedical Engineering. PM me if you are interested in learning more about these programs at our MD/PhD program.