MD/PhD programs that screen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lychee3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any specific MD/PhD programs that screen? Please list below, if any.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Vandy and UCSF, among others, screen pre-secondary.

What do you mean by screen? Prob a newbie question...sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the following schools screen pre-secondary:
Iowa
UCSD
Washington
UCLA

Those MD programs all screen pre-secondary, so I'd assume that the MD/PhD programs have the same policy? Not sure...

So, does screening mean "nobody with a MCAT < X and a GPA < Y.Z even gets looked at"?

oops... yes, screen pre-secondary. or maybe put a better way, which school do NOT screen pre-secondary?

I have the same question too. Most people ask about schools that screen pre-secondary, but what about those that screen post-secondary? Is it not a guarantee that your application would be reviewed upon completion at every school?

Pre-secondary or post-secondary, schools have to screen one way or another or they'll never be done interviewing. Post-secondary screens may give applicants a better chance to present themselves, but really, many secondary questions are either redundant or yield little further insight.

About the definition of screening, I doubt schools will tell applicants that they have number-based screens. How many of them do have such screens? We'll never know.

[M]any secondary questions are either redundant or yield little further insight.

YEEEEEEEEEEESS.

::looks at pile of unfinished secondaries, all asking questions already covered on the primary::

Gaaaaaaaaaaaah!

I think the following schools screen pre-secondary:
Iowa
UCSD
Washington
UCLA

Those MD programs all screen pre-secondary, so I'd assume that the MD/PhD programs have the same policy? Not sure...

UCLA doesn't screen pre-secondary for MD/PhD.

You can add UC Davis and OHSU to the list, though.

Pre-secondary or post-secondary, schools have to screen one way or another or they'll never be done interviewing.

Some schools, like Buffalo, claim that they review every application, so I guess this is not necessary the case, especially for the top schools?

Post-secondary screens may give applicants a better chance to present themselves, but really, many secondary questions are either redundant or yield little further insight.

Since the questions are redundant, is it better to write something new or just stick to what's already on the primary?

I was thinking that all these essays are supposed to show different sides of me on paper other than numbers and speak more powerfully about why they should at least give me a chance, but it's frustrating to realize that some schools wouldn't even look at my complete application. :(

Most programs screen for people that don't deserve interviews.

Some schools, like Buffalo, claim that they review every application, so I guess this is not necessary the case, especially for the top schools?

Since the questions are redundant, is it better to write something new or just stick to what's already on the primary?

I was thinking that all these essays are supposed to show different sides of me on paper other than numbers and speak more powerfully about why they should at least give me a chance, but it's frustrating to realize that some schools wouldn't even look at my complete application. :(

Again, depending on the definition of screening, and "reviewing every application". Even without an overt number-based screen, there's the mental, or "human-based" screen that you have to make, and unfortunately your numbers often dictate how much time they will spend on the rest of your application. That's why I do not like schools that automatically grant applicants secondaries: if they want you to sweat and write extra essays, at least they should assure you that they have reviewed your primary, and your numbers (and everything else) are good enough for the secondary to matter. At some MD programs a powerful personal story and extraordinary healthcare-related activities/experiences may offset academic weakness and win you an interview, but MD/PhD programs buy less into such things.
About the secondaries, unless they explicitly prohibit you from recycling your primary essays, feel free to use them, maybe with minor twists to better fit the prompts.

I know that Mayo Clinic and UC-Irvine specifically have a numbers formula to screen applicants. UCI MSTP uses the MD admissions formula. Baylor does the numbers screening, but without a formula.

Can anyone else think of others?

Wisconsin, Loyola, UC Davis, North Carolina, and Wake Forest MD programs screen, I believe- I don't know about the MD/PhD programs, though. Anyone?

wisconsin mstp doesn't seem like it screens, since i got the secondary without my mcat scores yet.

wisconsin mstp doesn't seem like it screens, since i got the secondary without my mcat scores yet.

Aww, bummer, I was excited when I got the Wisconsin secondary since I thought it was a screened one! Oh well. :laugh:

Does Harvard MD/PhD screen pre-secondary?

I know UCSD, Irvine, Davis, Alabama, U of Washington screen pre-secondary.

I don't think Harvard screens.

From their website:

9. Does Harvard grant access to secondary application forms for applicants that have submitted their complete AMCAS application without the MCAT scores or must one wait until receipt of MCAT scores to be given access to the secondary application?
We only send the secondary applications out to verified applicants.

Vandy and UCSF, among others, screen pre-secondary.

Vandy's not screening their MD/PhD's this year. Only screening the MDs presecondary. However, MSTPs don't pay the secondary fee :p