• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

SkiUtah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey-
To all of you MD/PhD apps, how did you go about writing your PS for your primary? Did you write it as if you were a 'normal' MD app, or did you include your interest in the PhD portion also? I only ask because I beleive you write 2 extra essays yes?
Thanks!
p.s., this is not for me, but for my girlfriend who is working on applying as we speak

Mr. Tee

Indentured servant
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
I wrote it as if it were for a "normal" MD app, but I included a brief paragraph about my interest in continuing research. But it basically answered the "why medicine" question with a clinical slant.

About the Ads

mdphdhopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2004
Status (Visible)
I wrote it as if it were for a "normal" MD app, but I included a brief paragraph about my interest in continuing research. But it basically answered the "why medicine" question with a clinical slant.
thats exactly what i did

Dr.Watson

10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
basically, you have three essays to write: why medicine? (aka PS), why md/phd?, and tell me about your research. these are also the same questions asked at nearly every interview. as others already wrote, why medicine should speak to your desire to be a doctor, talk about your clinical experience/motivation, with research mentioned albeit briefly.

i kinda thought of the three essays as one long essay with specific subsections that addressed each question. so together it flowed, was consistent with regards to my career aspirations, addressed different aspects of my application, and didn't repeat information.

Ersatzious

Mayo MSTP MS1
10+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i kinda thought of the three essays as one long essay with specific subsections that addressed each question. so together it flowed, was consistent with regards to my career aspirations, addressed different aspects of my application, and didn't repeat information.

I went the same route. As a non-traditional MSTPer, I focused mainly on my path to medicine in the first essay with a solid section toward the end very broadly describing my interest in research to serve as a transition into the "Why MD/Phd?" essay where I elaborated more fully on those desires. With the introspection and realizations covered, I was free to be very straightforward and detailed in the research descriptions. Each essay should be able to stand on its own while fitting into the larger framework; however, avoid repetition.

Save for using the phrase physician-scientist in my conclusion (once), my "Why medicine?" essay was indistinguishable from a traditional MD-only one.

chirurgino

A pound of flesh
10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2006
The dark side of the moon
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
More generally--as an MD-PhD applicant you have to answer the question in your MD essay--why academic medicine? I broke it down into the 3 components of academic medicine: research, teaching, and patient care--and talked about my experiences and goals in each area. Pretty simple-minded, but it worked.

Your MD-PhD essay will focus more on the specifics of your research, etc.

SkiUtah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Thanks all, that is exactly what I wanted to know. Cheers!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.