MD/PhD Questions: Stem Cell / Regenerative Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroRed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm considering pursuing an MD/PhD in order to study Stem Cell / Regenerative Medicine. I was wondering if the community could help me out with a few questions:

1) Which programs / schools would you recommend for this field of study?

2) I am nearing publication, which may not be accepted by the time I submit my primary application. How should I address this in my application?

3) Are there any particular specialties that seem more interested in this kind of translational research?
I feel a general affinity towards general surgery as I think this skillset will be best equipped to translate tissue-engineering-based technologies. Please let me know if you feel otherwise -- I do not have experience shadowing surgeons, so this feeling may be misplaced!

4) I work with human ES cells. Is this kind of work still considered taboo in some areas of the U.S?

5) Any general tips for this particular field?

Background, if needed:
I attend a very small school in Michigan, senior (May 2022), GPA / other activities all set, MCAT coming up in May and I feel good. Will be applying in the 2022 cycle. I've been working in a stem cell biology lab for 1.5 years (~2000 hours as of now). I currently have 4 conference presentations (2 poster, 2 oral), awards, and I have written an honors thesis. My PI and I believe that I should have a first-author manuscript prepared for submission by the end of May (finishing a few experiments). Throughout the summer / early Fall, I'm going to continue my project under an NSF post-bacc grant with a goal of trying to squeeze out a second paper by November. I'm estimating an additional 1,000+ hours by the end of the year.

My research focuses on cardiac stem cells. More specifically, I'm interested in studying how the stem cell niche and its biomechanics influence cell signaling and differentiation. Should go without saying, but I love my work and I see it as an art form with immense potential for my future patients, if handled properly.

As always, I appreciate any responses to any of the above questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'll do my best to help but I'm far from an expert (just an accepted MD/PhD student).

1. As far as schools with solid stem cell programs the ones that immediately jump to my mind are Wisconsin, Mt. Sinai, WashU, Duke, Emory, and Michigan. Basically look for schools that have a regenerative medicine/stem cell specific PhD program. Obviously do your own research but those are ones I know for sure have those kinds of programs/a history of stem cell research.

2. Unfortunately, until your publication is published you really can't include it in your primary application. You could tack on something like "publication forthcoming/expected" but that's basically meaningless. You can always bring it up in secondaries/interviews if it gets accepted by then though so getting published still has value even if the timing isn't ideal.

3. I have no idea what specialties this would pair with, I feel like that's not something you can really know until you start med school and really get a grasp on what different specialties entail. That's the way I'm approaching it anyway.

4. ES work used to be a lot more controversial, and some people still consider it to be so, but almost any scientist/researcher/university (barring any strong religious affiliation) isn't going to care. That said I like working with iPSCs more than ES cells because it avoids any potential ethical conflicts.

5. It sounds like you're going to be a really strong applicant. My only advice would be to make sure to apply broadly (don't only apply to top-tier MSTPs) because you never know what is going to happen.

Good luck! Hope this helped.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll do my best to help but I'm far from an expert (just an accepted MD/PhD student).

1. As far as schools with solid stem cell programs the ones that immediately jump to my mind are Wisconsin, Mt. Sinai, WashU, Duke, Emory, and Michigan. Basically look for schools that have a regenerative medicine/stem cell specific PhD program. Obviously do your own research but those are ones I know for sure have those kinds of programs/a history of stem cell research.

2. Unfortunately, until your publication is published you really can't include it in your primary application. You could tack on something like "publication forthcoming/expected" but that's basically meaningless. You can always bring it up in secondaries/interviews if it gets accepted by then though so getting published still has value even if the timing isn't ideal.

3. I have no idea what specialties this would pair with, I feel like that's not something you can really know until you start med school and really get a grasp on what different specialties entail. That's the way I'm approaching it anyway.

4. ES work used to be a lot more controversial, and some people still consider it to be so, but almost any scientist/researcher/university (barring any strong religious affiliation) isn't going to care. That said I like working with iPSCs more than ES cells because it avoids any potential ethical conflicts.

5. It sounds like you're going to be a really strong applicant. My only advice would be to make sure to apply broadly (don't only apply to top-tier MSTPs) because you never know what is going to happen.

Good luck! Hope this helped.
Thank you! I was hoping to be able to weasel a publication in, but oh well. Like you say, I can always mention it in secondaries. Am I okay to assume that my conferences will hold a similar weight to whatever 1 paper could have contributed? My biggest concern is not having a publication.

iPSCs are cool. Our last PhD student worked heavily with them, and we're looking to start up another project soon related to reprogramming.

Congrats on your acceptance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also there's a dedicated physician-scientist forum on SDN where a lot of MD/PhD applicants, students, even a couple program directors hang out: MD/PhD Forum

Reactions: 1 users
I recommend publishing your paper as a pre-print when you submit it to the journal and listing that on your application.

Reactions: 1 user