MD/PhD recommendation letters - send them again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cubicu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have a question about how sending letters to MD/PhD programs works. My school has provided me with a committee letter packet which has been sent to the medical schools already. However, I noticed this on the UChicago application:

We take letters electronically via AMCAS, VE, Interfolio.You do not need to send via mail unless you prefer OR are applying to a joint-degree program which requires it.Application not available daily from 8:30-9:00 am CST for system maintenance.
So, by applying MD/PhD (which is a joint-degree program), will I need to send my letters separately? I'm really confused because I don't think other schools required this. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not entirely sure because I didn't apply there myself. But it seems to me that when they say "a joint-degree program which requires it", that does not mean all of the joint degree programs, just the ones that require mailed in letters. It would make more sense for it to be required for perhaps the MD-MBA, MD-JD, etc. I would check with the MSTP office for the official answer though

I don't think you need to. Pretty sure mstp cooperates much more with the md admissions office, so they share the letters. Also, does your letter status on the mstp page say completed? It took them about a week to put "yes" for my letters, but they did it, and I only sent letters via AMCAS.