MD PhD Recommendation Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MahlerROCKS

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m well aware the number varies by program, but in general, exactly how many letters do programs request (excluding those from PIs)? My school submits a committee letter (which usually counts for three—correct?); however, this letter is usually rather generic. Therefore, because some programs require you to gain admission to the MD program before you are accepted to the dual-degree program, can I submit additional letters to the initial MD committee? Furthermore, if I can submit additional letters, and these letters happen to be from PIs, would I have to submit separate copies to the MD committee and then again to the dual-degree committee, or would the initial MD committee send my file with the letters?
 
moderator, move this thread to MD/PhD forums?

i applied to 25+ MD/PhD programs and the largest minimum of letters I saw was 3. That was Mt. Sinai. I contacted them and they let me get away with two...although they probably weren't too happy. some schools let you send as many as you want, and i think most just asked for two.

note: I didn't apply to any Cal schools and only UT Southwestern in Texas (only UT-SW's MD/PhD program supports AMCAS).