MD PhD Recommendation Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MahlerROCKS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m well aware the number varies by program, but in general, exactly how many letters do programs request (excluding those from PIs)? My school submits a committee letter (which usually counts for three—correct?); however, this letter is usually rather generic. Therefore, because some programs require you to gain admission to the MD program before you are accepted to the dual-degree program, can I submit additional letters to the initial MD committee? Furthermore, if I can submit additional letters, and these letters happen to be from PIs, would I have to submit separate copies to the MD committee and then again to the dual-degree committee, or would the initial MD committee send my file with the letters?

Members don't see this ad.

moderator, move this thread to MD/PhD forums?

i applied to 25+ MD/PhD programs and the largest minimum of letters I saw was 3. That was Mt. Sinai. I contacted them and they let me get away with two...although they probably weren't too happy. some schools let you send as many as you want, and i think most just asked for two.

note: I didn't apply to any Cal schools and only UT Southwestern in Texas (only UT-SW's MD/PhD program supports AMCAS).