MD/PhD School List Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Talkamar

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date of submission: next cycle 2023

MD or MD/PhD: MD/PhD
Overall GPA: 3.97
Science GPA: 4.00
MCAT: 524

State of Residence: NJ
Undergrad Attended: T15
Major: Biochemistry and Computer Science + Math
Minority? ORM, LGBT

SES? Low-income, Pell grant, FAP
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? 2 gap years

Shadowing Experience:
25 hours Hem/Onc
15 hours Gastro
15 hours Pulm/CCU
10 hours Pathology

All hours listed are expected by time of submission, not including projected hours
Volunteering Experience:

300 hours as volunteer tutor at a low-income middle school, launched an after-school CS program.
1000 hours as intern at local LGBT+ helpline organization. Roles split between data management, website design, outreach and education.

Employment:
300/400 hrs CNA/PCT Tele/Neuro
1500 hrs Pediatric ED scribe
2000 hrs as Research assistant in bioinformatics/NLP lab (hybrid)
2000 hrs as Medical Informatics Data Scientist at large biotech company (remote)
(Last two are concurrent FT jobs)

Research:
Above RA position
Genomics Lab in undergrad
Various REU labs.
A LGBT focused public health lab, on ad hoc basis
Clinical informatics MD, (part-time)
Total pubs: 4 current publications, hard to project how many by time of submission

Leadership:
-Exec board of a school club
-Started and manage aforementioned after-school CS program at a middle school

Other Extracurriculars: Cooking, reading and hobbyist writing

Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean’s list, various academic awards, and scholarships

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:

- Dual employment/industry employment may look bad? I did this mostly due to financial constraints. I am sole income for my family.

-Large number of labs. Realized I was interested in medical informatics pretty late (senior year) and did projects in a variety of different types of labs to figure out what specific area I was interested in. I did end up picking a single lab, but still collaborate with labs I trialed with.

-I am very interested in medical informatics, and the intersection between data science and medicine. So, a strong consideration for my school list is the CS/bioinformatics program attached to the academic institution, as well as the number of medical informatics faculty, as it is not a very large field.

-How to log employment hours. I work full time at two jobs in my gap year but am mostly remote. So while I am technically working 40 hours at each job, it really comes down to how quickly I can finish my work and is often ~15-25 each.

School list: (in no particular order)
Carle Illinois
Columbia
Case Western
NYU
Penn
Mayo
Johns Hopkins
Mount Sinai
University of Chicago
Harvard Medical School (HST)
Duke
Stanford
UCLA
UCSF
UCSD
University of Michigan
Vanderbilt University
WashU
Cornell
Yale
NYU LI (Has clinical informatics specific track)
Northwestern
University of Pittsburgh
Rutgers
University of Washington
Emory University School of Medicine
Texas A&M (EnMed)

My main concerns are how top heavy my school list is, which is in part due to my CS/bioinformatics considerations. However, my foremost goal is becoming a physician, so if there are any schools that I should replace/add please let me know. Additionally, if there are any schools with a strong emphasis on servicing LGBT community members that I've missed I would also love to add them to my list. Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Fyi, Carle does not have a fully funded program. You're a stellar applicant and will certainly get into a strong, fully funded MSTP. I would remove Carle from your list.

Reactions: 2 users
I echo the above advice. Your application is top-tier. If you want to add some mid-tier schools, you could consider programs like Colorado, UIC, UMass, Stony Brook (with their affiliated institutions), or Maryland. As I can recall, they all offer an informatics-focused MD/PhD track. But tbh you will likely get into one of your listed programs.

Reactions: 1 user