MD/PhD schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My cousin will be a junior next year and realized through a bunch of research he's done that he would actually prefer academic medicine and now wants to pursue an md/phd program. What he wanted to know was how much more difficult is it to apply to an md/phd program compared to a regular md program? Like would a md/phd program at a lower med school(ranking 40 or 50+) be as difficult and/or prestigious as getting into just a med school that is top 25? He is a good student with a gpa of 3.8 something right now and he thinks he will get around at least a 35 after taking 2 practice tests.

Edit: Yay! I hit 50 posts.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's a matter of numbers as much as research background and general motivation. I was accepted to both high and low "ranked" programs and chose a "lower" rank (I think, since I have NO idea where it's ranked) because I liked the school the best. I've seen people with excellent "numbers" turned away from every MD/PhD program and "so-so number" people accepted at top tier places.

GeneGoddess said:
I don't think it's a matter of numbers as much as research background and general motivation. I was accepted to both high and low "ranked" programs and chose a "lower" rank (I think, since I have NO idea where it's ranked) because I liked the school the best. I've seen people with excellent "numbers" turned away from every MD/PhD program and "so-so number" people accepted at top tier places.

I have a question about this topic too since I am in the same situation as the individual who asked the question about his cousin. Basically, I will be a junior this coming fall , and I have a gpa above 3.8 and I'm hoping to get a matching MCAT score, but by the time I will apply to md/phd, including that summer, I will only have had 11 months of laboratory experience. Additionally, I will have been a TA in molecular biology for a semester, and 6 months of volunteer ER service. Do you think I would be competitive at even lower tier md/phds, with my relatively limited amount of experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes.

Don't sell yourself short!

So how would you determine which programs someone would be a good or at least competitive candidate for? My cousin is having trouble deciding where he would apply to.

my thinking is the other way around. let's say you've been accepted to the md/phd program at "the worst us med school". granted it's very hard to get into a med school these days but why would you want to spend extra yrs to get the phd there? (unless you're doing it for free tuition.) i'd rank a harvard (or stanford) or mit (or caltech) phd higher than an md/phd from a 2nd tier school.

if he's unsure just have him apply as an md applicant. he could apply to the phd program afterwards.