MD/PhD second thoughts...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tolar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, wondering if anyone out there has had second thoughts on their MD/PhD propgram and/or if anyone has actually decided not to pursue the PhD and just do the MD instead. What type of issues are involved? Was it hard to do or were people (administration) generally accepting of your decision. After 6 months in, not too sure if I can see myself being here for 8-9 years....
any guidance would be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

tolar said:
Hi, wondering if anyone out there has had second thoughts on their MD/PhD propgram and/or if anyone has actually decided not to pursue the PhD and just do the MD instead. What type of issues are involved? Was it hard to do or were people (administration) generally accepting of your decision. After 6 months in, not too sure if I can see myself being here for 8-9 years....
any guidance would be greatly appreciated
I know a couple of people who have backed away from the PhD component of the MD/PhD program. Since these programs are fully-funded, with stipend, yes, it's understandable that the administration gets angry. However, after long discussions, both of my friends got out of paying back the tuition for the portion of the MD program they had completed (they were responsible for paying the rest of the tuition). Talk to the person in charge of your program asap. If you have anxieties about coping during the PhD phase (and it is hard), perhaps he/she can dispel those. If it's just a case of 'a change of heart' and you are sure, be honest. People will understand.