MD/PhD secondaries vs MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plasmodel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All
So are secondaries for MD PhD the same as the ones for MD? because I dont see MSTP secondaries thread?

Members don't see this ad.

Some are in addition to the MD secondaries; some are in place of them. It depends on the school, but most programs do have some sort of extra essay at least :)

The ones I've looked at so far are the same except that MD/PhD has some additional questions. Keep in mind that I haven't submitted AMCAS yet, so none of these schools know that I'm applying MD/PhD yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
The ones I've looked at so far are the same except that MD/PhD has some additional questions. Keep in mind that I haven't submitted AMCAS yet, so none of these schools know that I'm applying MD/PhD yet.

How did you see the prompts without submitting AMCAS? Do you mean last year's?

But yeah, you (and other posters) are right. There are additional info required for MD/PhD apps not found on MD only secondaries.

How did you see the prompts without submitting AMCAS? Do you mean last year's?

5 of the schools im applying to (Wash U, University of Washington, Columbia, Baylor, and Yale) make their secondaries available without having submitted AMCAS. The rest send you a link once they get your info from AMCAS.

5 of the schools im applying to (Wash U, University of Washington, Columbia, Baylor, and Yale) make their secondaries available without having submitted AMCAS. The rest send you a link once they get your info from AMCAS.

Cool, didn't know that! :thumbup:

Isn't there a difference between the U Washington "Supplemental Application" and the "Secondary Application?" It sounds here like you're talking about the suplemental app.

Last edited:
Isn't there a difference between the U Washington "Supplemental Application" and the "Secondary Application?" It sounds here like you're talking about the suplementary app.

Are those not the same thing? On the website those terms appear to be used interchangeably

Are those not the same thing? On the website those terms appear to be used interchangeably

For the U Washington "Supplemental App" you pay $0; the secondary is supposed to cost $35. Whoops.....

... and ???

.... and the terms supplemental and secondary can often be used interchangeably. University of Washington happens to be one school where those are 2 separate entities.........