MD/PhD students, Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyNameIsOtto

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Any other second years getting ready to take the boards shortly and then enter their lab full-time this summer?

In regards to the boards, I'm starting to feel a little LESS stressed knowing I'll have my PhD and pub's to back up a potential lower or average Step 1 score in case I want to match a more competitive field (rads or something).

Is anyone else using / have used this "defense mechanism" to keep down the stress while board prepping?

For that matter, has anyone, on a part time or transient basis, managed to do clinical reports or anything within a department of interest during their PhD years, namely during the down time between big experiments, etc to help boost the resume?

Members don't see this ad.

Me! I'm taking it on July 1. Actually, I'm going to do a block of rotations for four months after that, then start my research in November. (We're allowed to mix up our blocks as long as we complete all of the required rotations and the year of research.) When do you take yours?

You have an interesting take on things. :laugh: I'm not really counting on my research record to bolster a low Step 1. It didn't work that way for applying to med school, and plus, I'm not planning to get a low Step 1 score! But I'm getting an MS though, not a PhD. Still, I don't feel all that stressed about Step 1. I think for me what helps is knowing that almost everyone who goes to a U.S. school passes it. I'm not saying I'm going to end up with a 275 or anything, but I'm pretty confident that I can pass the boards with a reasonable score if I study. And I'm just not a freakout over tests kind of person anyway.

Unfortuatenly, I will be taking Step 1 on June 16. Then I have 8 weeks of clerkships. In September I will begin my life as a graduate student full time.

I wish I had a bit more motivation to study for the boards. Unfortunately, I think most of my studies will occur between the completiion of finals and June 16. Oh well. This semester has just been crazy, but what semester isn't.

While I had been hearing rumblings about this, a Dean confirmed that the entering class in Fall 2010 will not take a Step 1 and Step 2. They will only take one that will combine basic and clinical medicine during their M3 year. I wonder how this will effect us in regards to Step 2 and how our Step 1 scores will be utilized for residency, especially considering that most of us who are taking the exam this year will be applying to residency with that class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a 2nd year, but I've been there recently. :) While I don't think it's good to stress overly much about boards since that can be counterproductive, from what I have heard, boards scores matter just as much MD/PhD's as they do for MD students, especially for competitive specialties. Certainly research will be weighed with everything else, and could definitely have a positive affect on your chances with residencies if those residencies value research. However, I wouldn't feel too relaxed just because you'll have a few extra letters after your name. ;) As ClarinetGeek says, who knows how things will play out with the changing system for "the steps," but no matter how things end up I can't help but think a good score on Step 1 will still be to your advantage. Just study hard and do your best, and you will be fine. :luck:

While I had been hearing rumblings about this, a Dean confirmed that the entering class in Fall 2010 will not take a Step 1 and Step 2. They will only take one that will combine basic and clinical medicine during their M3 year. I wonder how this will effect us in regards to Step 2 and how our Step 1 scores will be utilized for residency, especially considering that most of us who are taking the exam this year will be applying to residency with that class.

It seems like this isn't happening anymore. Last I had heard, the combining of Step I and Step II had been taken off the table...